using cfrontend-1.6 and llvm-1.7

Ryan M. Lefever
Is it safe to use the LLVM cfrontend 1.6 with LLVM 1.7 or the latest
LLVM from CVS?  I am running OS X 10.3.9, which I believe corresponds to
Darwin kernel version 7.9.0.  When I tried to use the 1.7 cfrontend, I
could not get LLVM 1.7 or the LLVM from CVS to compile.  However, when I
used the 1.6 cfrontend (which is additionally labeled Darwin 7.9.0), I
was able to get them to compile.

Regards,
Ryan

--
Ryan M. Lefever  [217.333.7231]  [http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~lefever]

Re: using cfrontend-1.6 and llvm-1.7

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 10 May 2006, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
> Is it safe to use the LLVM cfrontend 1.6 with LLVM 1.7 or the latest LLVM
> from CVS?  I am running OS X 10.3.9, which I believe corresponds to Darwin
> kernel version 7.9.0.  When I tried to use the 1.7 cfrontend, I could not get
> LLVM 1.7 or the LLVM from CVS to compile.  However, when I used the 1.6
> cfrontend (which is additionally labeled Darwin 7.9.0), I was able to get
> them to compile.

Yes, it should work.  LLVM will autoupgrade the output of all previous C
front-ends.  Note that you'll probably get warnings and other stuff, but
it should work... in theory.  Noone has tested it that I'm aware of.