trouble finding symbols

Ryan M. Lefever
I am trying to upgrade to the latest version of LLVM from svn. My
transformations compile correctly, but when I go to run them I get a
symbol lookup error.  In particular, I have 2 libraries that I compile
for use with opt called libaux.so and libmyxform.so.  libaux.so
implements functions that are used by libmyxform.so.

When I run:

-------
/llvm/bin/opt -load=/work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libaux.so
-load=/work/compiler/Debug/lib/libmyxform.so -myxform -f -o x.bc y.bc
-------

I get:

------
/llvm/bin/opt: symbol lookup error:
/work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libmemrep.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE
------

When I perform "nm /work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libaux.so | grep
_ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE" it returns:

-------
0000000000078950 T _ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE
-------

That indicates that the symbol does exist in libaux.so.  Does anyone
have any ideas on what the problem could be, or how to go about
debugging it?  In previous versions of LLVM I did not have this problem.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: trouble finding symbols

Bill Wendling
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Ryan M. Lefever <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade to the latest version of LLVM from svn. My
> transformations compile correctly, but when I go to run them I get a
> symbol lookup error.  In particular, I have 2 libraries that I compile
> for use with opt called libaux.so and libmyxform.so.  libaux.so
> implements functions that are used by libmyxform.so.
>
> When I run:
>
> -------
> /llvm/bin/opt -load=/work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libaux.so
> -load=/work/compiler/Debug/lib/libmyxform.so -myxform -f -o x.bc y.bc
> -------
>
> I get:
>
> ------
> /llvm/bin/opt: symbol lookup error:
> /work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libmemrep.so: undefined symbol:
> _ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE
> ------

What is libmemrep.so? Is it loaded before or after libaux.so?

-bw

> When I perform "nm /work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libaux.so | grep
> _ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE" it returns:
>
> -------
> 0000000000078950 T _ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE
> -------
>
> That indicates that the symbol does exist in libaux.so.  Does anyone
> have any ideas on what the problem could be, or how to go about
> debugging it?  In previous versions of LLVM I did not have this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Re: trouble finding symbols

Ryan M. Lefever
>> ------
>> /llvm/bin/opt: symbol lookup error:
>> /work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libmemrep.so: undefined symbol:
>> _ZN3aux8deleteGVEPN4llvm14GlobalVariableEPNS0_6ModuleE
>> ------
>>
> What is libmemrep.so? Is it loaded before or after libaux.so?

/work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libmemrep.so should be replaced by
/work/src/compiler/Debug/lib/libmyxform.so.  Sorry about that.