this file was developed by ...

Chris Lattner

Per the developer policy, the LLVM file header is:

// This file was developed by RANDOM NAME HERE and is distributed under
// the University of Illinois Open Source License. See LICENSE.TXT for
// details.

The continuing obvious problem is that this name is generally meaningless
as time goes on.  People leave the project, code gets replaced, and
'ownership' changes.  The current policy is that the person who creates
the file touches it.

Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:

// This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
// License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.

And leaving this whole business to our friendly version control system
(e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect answer all the time?

Re: this file was developed by ...

Ted Kremenek-2

On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Per the developer policy, the LLVM file header is:
>
> // This file was developed by RANDOM NAME HERE and is distributed
> under
> // the University of Illinois Open Source License. See LICENSE.TXT for
> // details.
>
> The continuing obvious problem is that this name is generally
> meaningless
> as time goes on.  People leave the project, code gets replaced, and
> 'ownership' changes.  The current policy is that the person who
> creates
> the file touches it.
>
> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open
> Source
> // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>
> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version control system
> (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect answer all the time?

This sounds fine to me.  As long as people keep themselves registered
in CREDITS.txt the lookup from svn annotate to an email address is not
that painful.

Re: this file was developed by ...

Bill Wendling
On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Per the developer policy, the LLVM file header is:
>
> // This file was developed by RANDOM NAME HERE and is distributed
> under
> // the University of Illinois Open Source License. See LICENSE.TXT for
> // details.
>
> The continuing obvious problem is that this name is generally
> meaningless
> as time goes on.  People leave the project, code gets replaced, and
> 'ownership' changes.  The current policy is that the person who
> creates
> the file touches it.
>
> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open
> Source
> // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>
> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version control system
> (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect answer all the time?

My 0.02$CDN: I think it's fine.

-bw

Re: this file was developed by ...

Reid Spencer-2
Fine with me too.

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 17:15 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Per the developer policy, the LLVM file header is:
>
> // This file was developed by RANDOM NAME HERE and is distributed under
> // the University of Illinois Open Source License. See LICENSE.TXT for
> // details.
>
> The continuing obvious problem is that this name is generally meaningless
> as time goes on.  People leave the project, code gets replaced, and
> 'ownership' changes.  The current policy is that the person who creates
> the file touches it.
>
> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
> // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>
> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version control system
> (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect answer all the time?
>
> -Chris

Re: this file was developed by ...

Holger Schurig-2
> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois
> Open Source // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>
> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version
> control system (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect
> answer all the time?

Certainly I don't have a problem, I just want to point out a
situation that might be a problem:

Consider someone who submits a whole file, but doesn't have SVN
commit access. So another one commits the file. When you now
use "svn blame file", you'll see the name of the committer, not
the name of the author.

Re: this file was developed by ...

Henrik Bach-4

Hi

> > Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
> >
> > // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois
> > Open Source // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
> >
> > And leaving this whole business to our friendly version
> > control system (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect
> > answer all the time?
>
> Certainly I don't have a problem, I just want to point out a
> situation that might be a problem:
>
> Consider someone who submits a whole file, but doesn't have SVN
> commit access. So another one commits the file. When you now
> use "svn blame file", you'll see the name of the committer, not
> the name of the author.

What about leaving an optional contributors line before/after the distribution text, e.g.:

// Code in this file is contributed by: mmhjm dsse, jhiuiui hjh, and lkjaa dfdf,
// and is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
// License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.

- OR -

// This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
// License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.

// Code in this file adheres to the licensing terms and is
// contributed by: <List of authors>

-Henrik.

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:47 PM, Holger Schurig wrote:

>> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>>
>> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois
>> Open Source // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>>
>> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version
>> control system (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect
>> answer all the time?
>
> Certainly I don't have a problem, I just want to point out a
> situation that might be a problem:
>
> Consider someone who submits a whole file, but doesn't have SVN
> commit access. So another one commits the file. When you now
> use "svn blame file", you'll see the name of the committer, not
> the name of the author.

I don't think this will be a big problem in practice. The SVN commit
for commits done by other people say "this code contributed by
Whoever".  Also, most people get commit access before contributing
whole files.

On Dec 16, 2007, at 6:49 AM, Henrik Bach wrote:
> Consider someone who submits a whole file, but doesn't have SVN
> commit access. So another one commits the file. When you now
> use "svn blame file", you'll see the name of the committer, not
> the name of the author.

What about leaving an optional contributors line before/after the distribution text, e.g.:

// Code in this file is contributed by: mmhjm dsse, jhiuiui hjh, and lkjaa dfdf,
// and is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
// License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.

- OR -

// This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
// License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.

// Code in this file adheres to the licensing terms and is
// contributed by: <List of authors>

This has the opposite problem we do today: it isn't clear when someone should be added/removed to the list.  SVN commit history captures all, in perfect details, so I don't think it's needed.

Re: this file was developed by ...

On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Per the developer policy, the LLVM file header is:
>
> // This file was developed by RANDOM NAME HERE and is distributed
> under
> // the University of Illinois Open Source License. See LICENSE.TXT for
> // details.
>
> The continuing obvious problem is that this name is generally
> meaningless
> as time goes on.  People leave the project, code gets replaced, and
> 'ownership' changes.  The current policy is that the person who
> creates
> the file touches it.
>
> Does anyone have a problem with changing this to:
>
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open
> Source
> // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
>
> And leaving this whole business to our friendly version control system
> (e.g. svn annotate), which has the perfect answer all the time?

Ok. I'm going to make this change, thanks to all who responded.