testsuite problems after merge

Dale Johannesen
I'm seeing ~100 new failures in the gcc testsuite due to the test file
being doubled or tripled, as below.   This appears to affect only
files that were newly imported from gcc-4.2 in the recent merge.  Does
anybody have an idea for how to mechanize fixing these (I doubt you
can count on the APPLE LOCAL comment being there)?  If there's no
better way than slogging through I'll help.  And of course we should
figure out why and prevent it from happening again....

now what? more $ld/gcc/llvm-gcc-4.2/gcc/testsuite/gcc.apple/5597292.c
/* APPLE LOCAL file 5597292 */
/* { dg-do compile } */
/* { dg-options "-static -O0 -gstabs+" } */
void * foo(unsigned int size)
{
   union {
     char _m[size];
   } *mem;
}
/* APPLE LOCAL file 5597292 */
/* { dg-do compile } */
/* { dg-options "-static -O0 -gstabs+" } */
void * foo(unsigned int size)
{
   union {
     char _m[size];
   } *mem;
}
/* APPLE LOCAL file 5597292 */
/* { dg-do compile } */
/* { dg-options "-static -O0 -gstabs+" } */
void * foo(unsigned int size)
{
   union {
     char _m[size];
   } *mem;

Re: testsuite problems after merge

Mike Stump
On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Dale Johannesen wrote:
> I'm seeing ~100 new failures in the gcc testsuite due to the test
> file being doubled or tripled, as below.

This is due to an incorrect use of the tools. Bill, I'd be happy to
help out, but, you'd need to say how you did the merge.  I suspect you
may have just grabbed a patch and applied it three times in a row.

Roughly, what you need to do is to have a import branch that is
unmodified upstream, and then you just merge the last version of that
branch to the current version of that branch using svn merge onto your
llvm branch.

diff -r upstream current

and then look for APPLE LOCAL markers that have been added, there
should be none.  That's the best auditing method I can come up with in
seconds.

> (I doubt you can count on the APPLE LOCAL comment being there)?

Yes, you can count on them being there.

Re: testsuite problems after merge

Bill Wendling-2
On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Dale Johannesen wrote:

> I'm seeing ~100 new failures in the gcc testsuite due to the test
> file being doubled or tripled, as below.   This appears to affect
> only files that were newly imported from gcc-4.2 in the recent
> merge.  Does anybody have an idea for how to mechanize fixing these
> (I doubt you can count on the APPLE LOCAL comment being there)?  If
> there's no better way than slogging through I'll help.  And of
> course we should figure out why and prevent it from happening
> again....

I'll help you track these down. Give me a list of the ones that are
failing and I can start slogging through them. It should be easy to
fix, at least. I don't know what happened. The method I used was "svn
diff" followed by "patch -p0". *shrugs* We should take Mike's
suggestion next time.

-bw

On Mar 20, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:
> The method I used was "svn diff"

If you did diff -r1 -r2, then diff -r2 -r3, then diff -r3 -r4, it
should have worked.

Re: testsuite problems after merge

Bill Wendling-2
These should be fixed now. Sorry for the mess.

-bw

On Mar 20, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Bill Wendling wrote:

> These should be fixed now. Sorry for the mess.
>
> -bw

Thanks for fixing it all.  I'll try again overnight and let you know
if you missed any:)