"Name that compiler"

12

Re: "Name that compiler"

Duncan Sands
> Along these lines, is there any mythical characters or historical persons which are associated with translation (which
> is the primary role of a compiler framework)? I can only think of 'Babel', but I'm sure there must be some other
> possibilities...

There's always Thoth, the ancient Egyptian god attributed with the
invention of writing.

Talking of history, we could call LLVM the "Analytical Engine", AE for short.

Ciao,

Duncan.

Re: "Name that compiler"

Nicola Lugato
I don't like very much mithology or fantasy names. A portmanteau is
more professional (even if it sounds funny).
For now IMHO the best proposal is Omnipiler and OmniC, even if the
last one reminds too much of C. Maybe Omnic (with the lowercase c), or
Omnip are better. Simple, elegant and somehow reminds of something
technological (to me at least :P).

So my idea is to list some key words and see if some nice portmanteau
came out :)
Wordlist:
code, source, byte, compiler, optimizer, toolkit, language, assembler,
machine, engine, translation (general llvm related terms)
screwdriver (a generic helpful tool just like LLVM is)
plasticine (gives the idea of modellability)
fun (llvm is fun :P)
matic,
omni, over, uber, iper, etc.
lego (the idea of modularity, or "building complex things with simple pieces")
etc

So it could be: omnisource, legolang, transource, screwpiler,
plastibyte, uberlang, oversource, optimatic, etc, etc.

Ok, ok, i'm quitting :)

On 4/13/07, Morten Ofstad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> me22 wrote:
> > One of the nicer project names I've seen recently is Alexandria, for a
> > book database program ( http://alexandria.rubyforge.org/ ).  It
> > unfortunately fails the searchability test, but does brilliantly at
> > reminding you what it is.
>
> Along these lines, is there any mythical characters or historical persons which are associated with translation (which
> is the primary role of a compiler framework)? I can only think of 'Babel', but I'm sure there must be some other
> possibilities...
>
> m.

Re: "Name that compiler"

Patrick Meredith

On Apr 13, 2007, at 4:30 AM, Nicola Lugato wrote:

> I don't like very much mithology or fantasy names. A portmanteau is
> more professional (even if it sounds funny).
> For now IMHO the best proposal is Omnipiler and OmniC, even if the
> last one reminds too much of C. Maybe Omnic (with the lowercase c), or
> Omnip are better. Simple, elegant and somehow reminds of something
> technological (to me at least :P).
>
> So my idea is to list some key words and see if some nice portmanteau
> came out :)
> Wordlist:
> code, source, byte, compiler, optimizer, toolkit, language, assembler,
> machine, engine, translation (general llvm related terms)
> screwdriver (a generic helpful tool just like LLVM is)
> plasticine (gives the idea of modellability)
> fun (llvm is fun :P)
> matic,
> omni, over, uber, iper, etc.
> lego (the idea of modularity, or "building complex things with
> simple pieces")

Pretty sure this is  a registered trademark.

> etc
>
> So it could be: omnisource, legolang, transource, screwpiler,
> plastibyte, uberlang, oversource, optimatic, etc, etc.
>
> Ok, ok, i'm quitting :)
>

> On 4/13/07, Morten Ofstad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> me22 wrote:
>>> One of the nicer project names I've seen recently is Alexandria,
>>> for a
>>> book database program ( http://alexandria.rubyforge.org/ ).  It
>>> unfortunately fails the searchability test, but does brilliantly at
>>> reminding you what it is.
>>
>> Along these lines, is there any mythical characters or historical
>> persons which are associated with translation (which
>> is the primary role of a compiler framework)? I can only think of
>> 'Babel', but I'm sure there must be some other
>> possibilities...
>>
>> m.

Re: Wiki

AaronNGray
> We're now keeping track of the naming process, ideas, etc. on this page:
>
> http://llvm.org/Name.html
>
> (would someone PLEASE get us a wiki!!!) ;)

I can do a Media Wiki on our datacomms.net server for LLVM thats if :-

    a) You can not host one at UIUC
    b) Someone with prior Wiki experience cannot host one.

Otherwise I would be willing to do the learning to host one.

Aaron

Re: Wiki

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Aaron,

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 15:07 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:

> > We're now keeping track of the naming process, ideas, etc. on this page:
> >
> > http://llvm.org/Name.html
> >
> > (would someone PLEASE get us a wiki!!!) ;)
>
> I can do a Media Wiki on our datacomms.net server for LLVM thats if :-
>
>     a) You can not host one at UIUC
>     b) Someone with prior Wiki experience cannot host one.
>
> Otherwise I would be willing to do the learning to host one.

Thanks for the generous offer, but this is already happening at UIUC. I
was just venting some frustration at the manual process of hacking HTML
files and committing them (seems archaic for 21st century web site) and
throwing a little fun Vikram's way.  I just asked him for the wiki a
couple days ago :)

Reid.

> Aaron

Re: Wiki

Vikram S. Adve
TSG (our support group) is going to set up a Wiki on zion so that
access can be checked against a list of some sort.  It should happen
by early next week, perhaps sooner (not likely).

They actually have a central departmental Wiki and created an LLVM
space there already, but that cannot be made accessible to non-UIUC
people without creating an account for each person.  They have a
policy of not setting up individual Wikis but had to make an
exception for us.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

On Apr 13, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> Thanks for the generous offer, but this is already happening at
> UIUC. I
> was just venting some frustration at the manual process of hacking
> HTML
> files and committing them (seems archaic for 21st century web site)
> and
> throwing a little fun Vikram's way.  I just asked him for the wiki a
> couple days ago :)

Re: Wiki

Reid Spencer-2
On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 17:11 -0500, Vikram S. Adve wrote:
> TSG (our support group) is going to set up a Wiki on zion so that
> access can be checked against a list of some sort.

What does that mean exactly?  Will the users be authenticated? If not,
this isn't acceptable .. spam.

What wiki is being set up?

> It should happen
> by early next week, perhaps sooner (not likely).

Okay, that's good. The Subversion stuff is more important.

> They actually have a central departmental Wiki and created an LLVM
> space there already, but that cannot be made accessible to non-UIUC
> people without creating an account for each person.  They have a
> policy of not setting up individual Wikis but had to make an
> exception for us.

I guess we're just exceptional :)

Reid

> --Vikram
> http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
>

> On Apr 13, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Reid Spencer wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the generous offer, but this is already happening at
> > UIUC. I
> > was just venting some frustration at the manual process of hacking
> > HTML
> > files and committing them (seems archaic for 21st century web site)
> > and
> > throwing a little fun Vikram's way.  I just asked him for the wiki a
> > couple days ago :)

Re: "Name that compiler"

Scott Michel-2
> On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:44 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>>  I think we need to
>> continue to use the name 'LLVM' to refer to the IR (i.e. that
>> which is
>> described in http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html),

On the wackier side of "things that don't mean what they seem":
CosaNostra ("our thing").

All seriousness aside, I liked Illiacc (+1 for that one from me.) I'd
also thought "Blastula" might also be descriptive of the current and
future developing state of llvm.

-scooter

Re: "Name that compiler"

Patrick Meredith

On Apr 13, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Scott Michel wrote:

>> On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:44 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>>
>>>  I think we need to
>>> continue to use the name 'LLVM' to refer to the IR (i.e. that
>>> which is
>>> described in http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html),
>
> On the wackier side of "things that don't mean what they seem":
> CosaNostra ("our thing").
>
> All seriousness aside, I liked Illiacc (+1 for that one from me.) I'd

I'm going to vote for illiacc too.  It's just too good.

> also thought "Blastula" might also be descriptive of the current and
> future developing state of llvm.
>

> -scooter

Re: "Name that compiler"

Vikram S. Adve

On Apr 14, 2007, at 12:13 AM, Patrick Meredith wrote:

>> All seriousness aside, I liked Illiacc (+1 for that one from me.) I'd
>
> I'm going to vote for illiacc too.  It's just too good.

Much as I like Illiacc too, I don't think we can use it.  ILLIAC is
the name of a series of well-known supercomputers built at UIUC, and
(after a gap of some years), we now have two more of the series --
ILLIAC 6 and Trusted ILLIAC.  Calling our software Illiacc would be
far too confusing for many people.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

Re: "Name that compiler"

Patrick Meredith

On Apr 14, 2007, at 10:49 PM, Vikram S. Adve wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2007, at 12:13 AM, Patrick Meredith wrote:
>

>>> All seriousness aside, I liked Illiacc (+1 for that one from me.)
>>> I'd
>>
>> I'm going to vote for illiacc too.  It's just too good.
>

> Much as I like Illiacc too, I don't think we can use it.  ILLIAC is
> the name of a series of well-known supercomputers built at UIUC, and
> (after a gap of some years), we now have two more of the series --
> ILLIAC 6 and Trusted ILLIAC.

That was why I liked it so much ;-)  Played on cc, and gcc, AND was a
rip off of the ILLIACs.

> Calling our software Illiacc would be
> far too confusing for many people.
>
> --Vikram
> http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

Re: Wiki

Alkis Evlogimenos-2
You can get one for free on code.google.com. It comes as part of code
hosting. Authentication/authorization for both wiki and svn is
governed by the same credentials as given by the project owner(s) (the
wiki is driven by the same svn repo as the code). So even hosting svn
there might be a good thing .

On 4/14/07, Reid Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 17:11 -0500, Vikram S. Adve wrote:
> > TSG (our support group) is going to set up a Wiki on zion so that
> > access can be checked against a list of some sort.
>
> What does that mean exactly?  Will the users be authenticated? If not,
> this isn't acceptable .. spam.
>
> What wiki is being set up?
>
> > It should happen
> > by early next week, perhaps sooner (not likely).
>
> Okay, that's good. The Subversion stuff is more important.
>

> > They actually have a central departmental Wiki and created an LLVM
> > space there already, but that cannot be made accessible to non-UIUC
> > people without creating an account for each person.  They have a
> > policy of not setting up individual Wikis but had to make an
> > exception for us.
>
> I guess we're just exceptional :)
>
> Reid
>

> > --Vikram
> > http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
> > http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
> >

> > On Apr 13, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Reid Spencer wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the generous offer, but this is already happening at
> > > UIUC. I
> > > was just venting some frustration at the manual process of hacking
> > > HTML
> > > files and committing them (seems archaic for 21st century web site)
> > > and
> > > throwing a little fun Vikram's way.  I just asked him for the wiki a
> > > couple days ago :)

Alkis

Re: Wiki

AaronNGray
> You can get one for free on code.google.com. It comes as part of code
> hosting. Authentication/authorization for both wiki and svn is
> governed by the same credentials as given by the project owner(s) (the
> wiki is driven by the same svn repo as the code). So even hosting svn
> there might be a good thing .

That would not host the commits mailing list.

Aaron

Re: "Name that compiler"

Gordon Henriksen-3
[Apologies in advance for the train of thought prose, but it is brainstorming after all…]

I'm going to focus on self-descriptive names rather than literary or fantasy references…

Advanced Compiler Kit, affectionately known as “ACK!”? It has an ill-deserved nod to NeXT, even. (Completely the wrong language, after all.)

Core Compiler? Heh, I don't think that'd get past certain influential marketing departments. Nor is this a C API, but that didn't stop Core Data or Core Image, so y'never know.

Veloce, schnell, rapido, rápide. Various translations of fast. Schnell is fun, but to an English speaker it has an imperative sense to it that makes it useless as an adjective, IMO. Veloce has a nice ring to it, though; that's Italian. Veloce Code? Velocicode?

I think the kit-core-foundation-framework concept is at least as important to the project as is anything else. In fact, if the name can communicate 'framework for fast', then the 'compiler' or 'code' concept falls out naturally (within the target audience). Here are some translations of several related phrases…

Kit rapide. Base rapide. Noyau rapide. Code rapide. Compilateur rapide. Cadre rapide. (French)
Schneller Installationssatz. Schneller Kern. Schnelle Grundlage. Schneller Code. Schneller Compiler. Schneller Rahmen. (German)
Corredo veloce. Fondamento veloce. Nucleo veloce. Codice veloce. Compilatore veloce. Struttura veloce. (Italian)
Kit rápido. Fundación rápida. Base rápida. Código rápido. Recopilador rápido. Marco rápido. (Spanish)

The only one that strikes me is the Italian nucleo veloce (fast core); the others aren't comprehensible to an English speaker. But maybe these can give others some ideas.

corecompiler, velocecode, velocicode, and nucleoveloce dot org are all available. ack.org is of course not.

— Gordon

Re: "Name that compiler"

Pertti Kellomäki
Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> Veloce, schnell, rapido, rápide. Various translations of fast.

"Nopsa", Finnish for rapid.
--
Pertti

Re: "Name that compiler"

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Gordon,

Good ideas here. If you want these included, please provide a patch
against the Name.html page in the llvm-www repository. Thanks.

Reid.

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 15:13 -0400, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

> [Apologies in advance for the train of thought prose, but it is
> brainstorming after all…]
>

> I'm going to focus on self-descriptive names rather than literary or
> fantasy references…
>

> Advanced Compiler Kit, affectionately known as “ACK!”? It has an
> ill-deserved nod to NeXT, even. (Completely the wrong language, after
> all.)
>

> Core Compiler? Heh, I don't think that'd get past certain influential
> marketing departments. Nor is this a C API, but that didn't stop Core
> Data or Core Image, so y'never know.
>

> Veloce, schnell, rapido, rápide. Various translations of fast. Schnell
> is fun, but to an English speaker it has an imperative sense to it
> that makes it useless as an adjective, IMO. Veloce has a nice ring to
> it, though; that's Italian. Veloce Code? Velocicode?
>

> I think the kit-core-foundation-framework concept is at least as
> important to the project as is anything else. In fact, if the name can
> communicate 'framework for fast', then the 'compiler' or 'code'
> concept falls out naturally (within the target audience). Here are
> some translations of several related phrases…
>

> Kit rapide. Base rapide. Noyau rapide. Code rapide. Compilateur
> rapide. Cadre rapide. (French)
> Schneller Installationssatz. Schneller Kern. Schnelle Grundlage.
> Schneller Code. Schneller Compiler. Schneller Rahmen. (German)
> Corredo veloce. Fondamento veloce. Nucleo veloce. Codice veloce.
> Compilatore veloce. Struttura veloce. (Italian)
> Kit rápido. Fundación rápida. Base rápida. Código rápido. Recopilador
> rápido. Marco rápido. (Spanish)
>

> The only one that strikes me is the Italian nucleo veloce (fast core);
> the others aren't comprehensible to an English speaker. But maybe
> these can give others some ideas.
>

> corecompiler, velocecode, velocicode, and nucleoveloce dot org are all
> available. ack.org is of course not.
>

> — Gordon

Re: Wiki

Alkis Evlogimenos-2
You can use a googlegroup as a mailing list and archive. One for
discussion and one for commits and/or one for bugs.

Here's an example: http://code.google.com/p/epgp/
discussion list: http://groups.google.com/group/epgp-discuss
commits list: http://groups.google.com/group/epgp-commits

On 4/17/07, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You can get one for free on code.google.com. It comes as part of code
> > hosting. Authentication/authorization for both wiki and svn is
> > governed by the same credentials as given by the project owner(s) (the
> > wiki is driven by the same svn repo as the code). So even hosting svn
> > there might be a good thing .
>
> That would not host the commits mailing list.
>
> Aaron

Alkis
12