new website prototype

Chris Lattner

Hi Everyone,

A website refresh is long overdue, for a couple reasons:

1. The webpage hasn't changed substantially for years, but the project
    obviously has :)
2. The current web site is very cluttered.
3. The current site does not convey what LLVM is to new people very well.
4. The current site does not support "subprojects" at all.

As such, I put together a prototype for a new design.  Some caveats: I
don't claim to be a web designer, I don't claim to know colors, there are
still lots of dead/missing pieces, and I have only tested it on two
machines, both of which run safari.  :)

That said, I committed the site to the website module in SVN.  Since it
requires Server Side Includes to display properly, I uploaded the site to
http://testing.nondot.org/ so you can see what it looks like.  Some of the
nice properties of the site:

1. It is much less cluttered.
2. The site is carefully split to differentiate pages related to the
    project as a whole (which are the top-level pieces), and subprojects
    which contain actual code (e.g. llvm, llvm-gcc, test-suite, etc).
3. The site uses CSS properly, unlike the old one, allowing each
    subproject to have its own style.  For example, the top-level pages use
    one style, the llvm pages use the "classic" style:
       http://testing.nondot.org/subproj/llvm/Tools.html
4. The pages use SSI's to handle the sidebar and other repetitious parts
    of the page like the old site.  However, the new site allows pages to
    modify the sidebar to indicate which page you're on.  For example, try
    clicking on "Advocacy".  It also lets you specify a <title> for the
    page (amazing that) - the old web site fixes the title tag.
5. The pages are designed to be viewable when SSI's are disabled.  For
    example, if you check out website/AdvPubs.html and view it locally on
    your machine, it looks just like http://testing.nondot.org/AdvPubs.html
    but it lacks the sidebar.  Among other things, this means that our
    documentation can gracefully fit into the site.
6. I tried to think deep thoughts about what should be on the main page
    and how to organize the top-level pages (which are about the project as
    a whole, not about any specific subproject).  The various subproject
    pages still need a lot of work.

I'm currently putting subprojects into directories like
/subproj/llvm-gcc, but we should probably move to having these be
"llvm-gcc.llvm.org" or something at some point.

At this point, I'm interested in feedback and help.  I've only tried the
page with one browser, so it's entirely possible it looks like a monkey's
armpit on other popular browsers.  There is still a ton of missing content
that needs to be filled in.  The site also currently just includes copies
of various pieces of documentation.  These files will eventually live in
their respective subproject modules and be svn imported (or something
similar) on the live site.  In addition, I'm "color challenged" and did I
mention that I'm not a web designer? :)

Any help would be appreciated.  For the record, I'm not tied to any one
specific color scheme or site design, but I'd like to see this start
moving forward.  Is anyone interested in contributing?

Re: new website prototype

Kenneth.Hoste

On 05 Jul 2007, at 08:32, Chris Lattner wrote:

> At this point, I'm interested in feedback and help.  I've only
> tried the
> page with one browser, so it's entirely possible it looks like a
> monkey's
> armpit on other popular browsers.  There is still a ton of missing
> content
> that needs to be filled in.  The site also currently just includes
> copies
> of various pieces of documentation.  These files will eventually
> live in
> their respective subproject modules and be svn imported (or something
> similar) on the live site.  In addition, I'm "color challenged" and
> did I
> mention that I'm not a web designer? :)

I think the colors are, hmm, hideous :-) I prefer using fresh, light
colors, but that's just my opinion...
The visited links for example are hardly visible anymore against the
black (black!) background.

greetings,

Kenneth

--

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. (E. W. Dijkstra)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
email: [hidden email]
blog: http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste/blog
website: http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste

Re: new website prototype

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
> I think the colors are, hmm, hideous :-) I prefer using fresh, light
> colors, but that's just my opinion... The visited links for example are
> hardly visible anymore against the black (black!) background.

Again, the colors were just a placeholder.  Please feel free to hack the
two .css files into something you think is better.  I've found that this
is significantly harder than it first seems.

I reverted the top level pages to use the "classic" style, since people
can't seem to get beyond the colors.

Re: new website prototype

Ralph Corderoy

Hi Chris,

> Again, the colors were just a placeholder.  Please feel free to hack
> the two .css files into something you think is better.  I've found
> that this is significantly harder than it first seems.

It is.  http://www.colorjack.com/sphere/ makes it easier.  And
http://browsershots.org/ lets you see what a page looks like in lots of
different browsers.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Re: new website prototype

Gabe McArthur
On Jul 5, 2007, at 1:32 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Any help would be appreciated.  For the record, I'm not tied to any
> one
> specific color scheme or site design, but I'd like to see this start
> moving forward.  Is anyone interested in contributing?
>
> -Chris

I have done a couple of decent cross-browser compatible web sites.  I
would like to give it a shot.  My design may require that a few
things get shifted around a little, though.  (If no one minds, I
would like to get rid of the SSI, and maybe just replace it with a
little JS.)  Please give me a couple of days for the design and layout.
-Gabe

Re: new website prototype

Chris Lattner
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Gabriel McArthur wrote:
>> Any help would be appreciated.  For the record, I'm not tied to any one
>> specific color scheme or site design, but I'd like to see this start
>> moving forward.  Is anyone interested in contributing?

> I have done a couple of decent cross-browser compatible web sites.  I
> would like to give it a shot.  My design may require that a few
> things get shifted around a little, though.

Excellent, I would really appreciate the help!  A few things shifted
around is no problem.

> (If no one minds, I would like to get rid of the SSI, and maybe just
> replace it with a little JS.)  Please give me a couple of days for the
> design and layout.

Why don't you like SSI?  The main goal is to avoid duplicating lots of
HTML on every page (e.g. for the sidebar) how do you avoid this with
javascript?

Re: new website prototype

Christopher Lamb

On Jul 8, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Gabriel McArthur wrote:

(If no one minds, I would like to get rid of the SSI, and maybe just
replace it with a little JS.)  Please give me a couple of days for the
design and layout.

Why don't you like SSI?  The main goal is to avoid duplicating lots of
HTML on every page (e.g. for the sidebar) how do you avoid this with
javascript?

IIRC JS would end up being essentially a client side include, rather than a server side one.

--
Christopher Lamb