make-test dependencies on local directory

make-test dependencies on local directory

Aaron Gray-3
Hi,

I am getting this when running make-test :-

$ /usr/src/llvm-test-2.5/configure
checking for spec95 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/ben
chmarks/spec95/benchspec
checking for spec2000 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/b
enchmarks/speccpu2000/benchspec
checking for spec2006 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/b
enchmarks/speccpu2006/benchspec
checking for povray benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/ben
chmarks/povray31
checking for namd benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/bench
marks/spec_namd
checking for sweep3d benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/be
nchmarks/sweep3d
checking for fpgrowth benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/b
enchmarks/fpgrowth
checking for alp benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/benchm
arks/alp
checking for nurbs benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/benc
hmarks/nurbs
checking for hmmer benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/shared/benc
hmarks/hmmer

Aaron

Re: make-test dependencies on local directory

Dale Johannesen
These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>

Okay, thanks. Thre should be better warning/error reporting though.

Aaron

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>

Okay, thanks. Thre should be better warning/error reporting though.

And Vikram Adve's home directory should not really be compiled into a release.

Aaron

Aaron

On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:30 AMPST, Aaron Gray wrote:

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>

Okay, thanks. Thre should be better warning/error reporting though.

And Vikram Adve's home directory should not really be compiled into a release.

I don't disagree with either of these, but I will point out that --with-externals is documented here:

Aaron

Aaron

On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:02 AMPST, Aaron Gray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this when running make-test :-
>
> $ /usr/src/llvm-test-2.5/configure
> checking for spec95 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/ben
> chmarks/spec95/benchspec
> checking for spec2000 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/b
> enchmarks/speccpu2000/benchspec
> checking for spec2006 benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/b
> enchmarks/speccpu2006/benchspec
> checking for povray benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/ben
> chmarks/povray31
> checking for namd benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/
> shared/bench
> marks/spec_namd
> checking for sweep3d benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/be
> nchmarks/sweep3d
> checking for fpgrowth benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/
> vadve/shared/b
> enchmarks/fpgrowth
> checking for alp benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/
> shared/benchm
> arks/alp
> checking for nurbs benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/
> shared/benc
> hmarks/nurbs
> checking for hmmer benchmark sources... no, not found in /home/vadve/
> shared/benc
> hmarks/hmmer
>
> Aaron

Re: make-test dependencies on local directory

John Criswell
Dale Johannesen wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:30 AMPST, Aaron Gray wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
> legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
> another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>
>
> Okay, thanks. Thre should be better warning/error reporting though.
>
> And Vikram Adve's home directory should not really be compiled into a release.

Actually, that's not Vikram's home directory.  It's a directory that
belongs to Vikram's research group.  Files were historically categorized
by professor back when LLVM was first released.

When deciding upon a default setting for the location of external
benchmarks, we couldn't really think up of one since there's no standard
place where they should be .  Therefore, we decided to set the default
to a location that would be convenient for our research group.  :)

I think the only other default that makes sense is to have it default to
${LLVM_SRC_ROOT}/External or ${HOME}/External or something like that.
That's less convenient for us at Illinois and probably not much more
convenient for anybody else, but it is more intuitive.

I don't feel strongly about it either way; I just wanted to let you know
that there was a method behind the madness.
:)

-- John T.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM, John Criswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dale Johannesen wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:30 AMPST, Aaron Gray wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> These benchmarks are not distributed with llvm (which doesn't have the
> legal right to distribute Spec, for example).  If you have them from
> another source, you need to configure --with-externals=<path>
>
> Okay, thanks. Thre should be better warning/error reporting though.
>
> And Vikram Adve's home directory should not really be compiled into a release.

Actually, that's not Vikram's home directory.  It's a directory that
belongs to Vikram's research group.  Files were historically categorized
by professor back when LLVM was first released.

When deciding upon a default setting for the location of external
benchmarks, we couldn't really think up of one since there's no standard
place where they should be .  Therefore, we decided to set the default
to a location that would be convenient for our research group.  :)

I think the only other default that makes sense is to have it default to
${LLVM_SRC_ROOT}/External or ${HOME}/External or something like that.
That's less convenient for us at Illinois and probably not much more
convenient for anybody else, but it is more intuitive.

I don't feel strongly about it either way; I just wanted to let you know
that there was a method behind the madness.
:)

Thanks John.

Aaron