[llvm][gsoc] Where we at?

Kasra Nassiri(Math & ComSci)

Hi,

I am wondering about the status of GSoc this year. The mailing list seems to be rather quiet on the topic. Has anyone thought of project ideas?

-- Kasra :-D

Re: [llvm][gsoc] Where we at?

Anton Korobeynikov-2
Hello

> I am wondering about the status of GSoc this year. The mailing list seems to be rather quiet on the topic. Has anyone thought of project ideas?
We just received confirmation that LLVM was accepted for this year GSoC.
The ideas list, as usual, is placed at
http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html (it also contains links to
subproject's ideas pages).

Please consider looking into
http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/llvm for more
details like application requirements, etc.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: [llvm][gsoc] Where we at?

Duncan Sands
> > I am wondering about the status of GSoc this year. The mailing list seems to be rather quiet on the topic. Has anyone thought of project ideas?
> We just received confirmation that LLVM was accepted for this year GSoC.
> The ideas list, as usual, is placed at
> http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html (it also contains links to
> subproject's ideas pages).
>
> Please consider looking into
> http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/llvm for more
> details like application requirements, etc.

Also I think it was agreed that we would not accept applications from
students who have never contributed to LLVM in any way.  So, if you want
to be a GSoC LLVM student, rummage through the bugreports, find one you
can solve, solve it, send in your solution, and pray it gets applied!
The idea is that we want proof that students are actually capable of
contributing before accepting applications; we don't want to discover
that a student is never going to produce anything halfway through their
GSoC project (as has happened in the past).

Ciao,

Duncan.

Re: [llvm][gsoc] Where we at?

Tanya Lattner-2

>>> I am wondering about the status of GSoc this year. The mailing list seems to be rather quiet on the topic. Has anyone thought of project ideas?
>> We just received confirmation that LLVM was accepted for this year GSoC.
>> The ideas list, as usual, is placed at
>> http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html (it also contains links to
>> subproject's ideas pages).
>>
>> Please consider looking into
>> http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/llvm for more
>> details like application requirements, etc.
>
> Also I think it was agreed that we would not accept applications from
> students who have never contributed to LLVM in any way.  So, if you want
> to be a GSoC LLVM student, rummage through the bugreports, find one you
> can solve, solve it, send in your solution, and pray it gets applied!
> The idea is that we want proof that students are actually capable of
> contributing before accepting applications; we don't want to discover
> that a student is never going to produce anything halfway through their
> GSoC project (as has happened in the past).

First, thanks to Anton for enrolling the LLVM organization into GSOC and
setting up the application template!

Anton and I are the organization admin's for LLVM's GSOC participation.
I'd like to clarify the statement above.

Not having contributed to LLVM before will **not** disqualify you.
However, prior LLVM contributions and experience is is taken into
consideration when selecting and ranking applications. Mentors may also
take it into consideration when selecting which students they would like
to mentor. The application asks you to include this information.

Thanks,
Tanya Lattner

Re: [llvm][gsoc] Where we at?

Duncan Sands
Hi Tanya,

> Not having contributed to LLVM before will **not** disqualify you.
> However, prior LLVM contributions and experience is is taken into
> consideration when selecting and ranking applications. Mentors may also
> take it into consideration when selecting which students they would like
> to mentor. The application asks you to include this information.

maybe I expressed myself unclearly.  I wasn't saying that students
should have contributed to LLVM in the past, but that we are asking
applicants to prove themselves by making at least some improvement
to LLVM before we'll choose them for a GSoC position.  So it is
perfectly fine if someone turns up who we've never seen before, but
then we want them to do something useful (perhaps very minor) to show
that they are capable of making a contribution.  As you may recall
we've had a high failure rate for GSoC projects in the past.  Anton
pointed out last year that several projects had found an effective way
of increasing the success rate: requiring students to fix something,
anything, if they wanted to be accepted.  I thought we had agreed on
this last year?  I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see a
patch from prospective students.  If they are the kind of person we
are looking for then doing so should be child's play for them.  And
if fixing some small problem of their choice is too hard for them,
then they are never going to succeed with a GSoC project.

Ciao,

Duncan.