llvm-gcc4_2

Peter Wiedermann-2
hi

> > i fixed some major bugs in the llvm-gcc4_2 patch since my last post.
> > this brings me to an interesting question:
> >
> > what are your criteria to use my patch for further development?
>
> I have no fixed criteria.  I think the best solution is for the work to be
> checked into the (forthcoming) public SVN server.  When it is available,
> you can check it in there and we can all hack on it together.  Even if it
> has serious bugs or known deficiencies, I see no problem in that.

ok, thats fine to me.
i think the worst part of the work is done.

> > at the moment i use the llvm-test1.9 suite for testing, because the
> > actual llvm-test trunk in the repository seems to be broken.
> > in my configuration the official llvm-gcc4 does not run completely error
> > free against this suite (or is this my configuration fault?).
> > so i guess a 100% error free run against the testsuite will not be the
> > criteria.
>
> Hrm, that's strange.  llvm-test doesn't pass 100% (e.g. some of the EH
> stuff is now working yet), but it should ahve basic functionality.  What
> is broken?

major error causes:

the sse.* tests produce errors during dagselection (see log)

there is a problem when exception handling is used because
all the __cxa.* functions are not found (bei llc and when compiling c-backend code) (i guess thats what you were refering to)

and a few other failures i did not relate to this 2 groups

for more information:

here is a list of failures (53):
http://geldspeicher.entenhausen.at/dl/failure_list.txt

and here is the log of the above test run :
http://geldspeicher.entenhausen.at/dl/testlog.txt.gz (36K)
or
http://geldspeicher.entenhausen.at/dl/testlog.txt (556K)

(the test run is not complete, just what my computer could calc in
one hour to check the sanity of th test)

kind regards
peter

Re: llvm-gcc4_2

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Peter Wiedermann wrote:
> ok, thats fine to me.
> i think the worst part of the work is done.

wow, you look quite far along.

>> Hrm, that's strange.  llvm-test doesn't pass 100% (e.g. some of the EH
>> stuff is now working yet), but it should ahve basic functionality.  What
>> is broken?
>>

> major error causes:
>
> the sse.* tests produce errors during dagselection (see log)
>
> there is a problem when exception handling is used because
> all the __cxa.* functions are not found (bei llc and when compiling c-backend code) (i guess thats what you were refering to)
>
> and a few other failures i did not relate to this 2 groups

Right, C++ EH is disabled in llvm-gcc at this point.  Some of the failures
do look real though, things like pointer_method, BuiltinTypeInfo,
ofstream_ctor, etc.

Very nice.  Reid/Anton, do you guys have an idea when the svn server will
be available?

Re: llvm-gcc4_2

Reid Spencer-2
On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:47 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Very nice.  Reid/Anton, do you guys have an idea when the svn server will
> be available?

Mid April.

The SVN server is getting installed tomorrow. Anton and I are still
testing the automated conversion script (almost there).

We will probably make a beta svn server available (via my machine) for
anyone that wants a preview.

One of the things we have to do is also convert llvm-test and we haven't
tested it much at all.

> -Chris

Re: llvm-gcc4_2

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:47 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> Very nice.  Reid/Anton, do you guys have an idea when the svn server will
>> be available?
>
> Mid April.
>
> The SVN server is getting installed tomorrow. Anton and I are still
> testing the automated conversion script (almost there).
>
> We will probably make a beta svn server available (via my machine) for
> anyone that wants a preview.

Good deal.

> One of the things we have to do is also convert llvm-test and we haven't
> tested it much at all.

One positive thing is that we don't really care about history for most of
llvm-test (we do care for the makefiles etc, but not the programs
themselves).  If some things are lost, noone will be too unhappy.  I don't
know if this simplifies things or not though :)

Re: llvm-gcc4_2

Reid Spencer-2
On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:22 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:47 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:
> >
> >> Very nice.  Reid/Anton, do you guys have an idea when the svn server will
> >> be available?
> >
> > Mid April.
> >
> > The SVN server is getting installed tomorrow. Anton and I are still
> > testing the automated conversion script (almost there).
> >
> > We will probably make a beta svn server available (via my machine) for
> > anyone that wants a preview.
>
> Good deal.
>
> > One of the things we have to do is also convert llvm-test and we haven't
> > tested it much at all.
>
> One positive thing is that we don't really care about history for most of
> llvm-test (we do care for the makefiles etc, but not the programs
> themselves).  If some things are lost, noone will be too unhappy.  I don't
> know if this simplifies things or not though :)

Not at all. Getting rid of the history would be *hard* at this point :)

We're actually not going to convert llvm-test for a while. By "convert
llvm-test" I meant "make sure nightly test script can work with an svn
based llvm". It will still check out llvm-test from cvs.  We'll migrate
llvm-test, llvm-java, hlvm, etc. once the basic conversion of llvm is
done.

Reid.