llvm-gcc frontend 4 on intel darwin produces intel assembler

llvm-gcc frontend 4 on intel darwin produces intel assembler

Jakob Praher-2
hi all,

i surely overlooked something.
but i am currently trying to do some benchmarking stuff with llvm.
in my thesis i was using llvm-1.5 (i did some extension work, which i
would have to frontport now).

But unfortunately 1.5 is for some benchmarks unstable (at least on my
box) such that llc sigsegvs sometimes, etc.

So I wanted to give 1.9 a go and build that on the my intel mac book.
I did not bother to compile the llvm-gcc frontend myself so I donwloaded
the precompiled tar ball.

But unfortunatly doing a LLVMGCC/bin/gcc -S assembler, the generated
assembyl is not in llvm representatino but in ia32?!

also the target says:
Target: i686-apple-darwin8

but the right? cc1 is taken:
$HOME/Applications/llvm-gcc4-1.9-x86-darwin8/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/cc1
-quiet -v -iprefix ....

any pointers?
is is stupid since gcc 3.4 is not precompiled on mactel - is it compilable?

thanks in advance?

Re: llvm-gcc frontend 4 on intel darwin produces intel assembler

Tanya Lattner-2

You need to use -emit-llvm

http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#tutorial4

-Tanya

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Jakob Praher wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i surely overlooked something.
> but i am currently trying to do some benchmarking stuff with llvm.
> in my thesis i was using llvm-1.5 (i did some extension work, which i
> would have to frontport now).
>
> But unfortunately 1.5 is for some benchmarks unstable (at least on my
> box) such that llc sigsegvs sometimes, etc.
>
> So I wanted to give 1.9 a go and build that on the my intel mac book.
> I did not bother to compile the llvm-gcc frontend myself so I donwloaded
> the precompiled tar ball.
>
> But unfortunatly doing a LLVMGCC/bin/gcc -S assembler, the generated
> assembyl is not in llvm representatino but in ia32?!
>
> also the target says:
> Target: i686-apple-darwin8
>
> but the right? cc1 is taken:
> $HOME/Applications/llvm-gcc4-1.9-x86-darwin8/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/cc1
> -quiet -v -iprefix ....
>
> any pointers?
> is is stupid since gcc 3.4 is not precompiled on mactel - is it compilable?
>
> thanks in advance?

Re: llvm-gcc frontend 4 on intel darwin produces intel assembler

Jakob Praher-2
so i was right :-)
thanks

--Jakob