[llvm-dev] why debugify passes reside in tools/opt?

[llvm-dev] why debugify passes reside in tools/opt?

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Hi Vedant (and all),

is there a particular reason why Debugify passes - whether legacy or newpm -
are not handled like "normal" passes?
They reside in tools/opt and are not registered through standard
registration
mechanisms.

There is a verifier pass that is rather similar to debugify, but it
resides in IR and
gets registered "normally".

Its mostly curiosity on my side rather than a pressing need, but current
scheme
makes it impossible to use these passes in anything other than opt.

regards,
   Fedor.

Re: [llvm-dev] why debugify passes reside in tools/opt?

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Hi Fedor,

These passes reside in the tools directory so that they do not add code size to every program that links llvm. Since -debugify is just a debugging tool for llvm developers, and is (at the moment) only invoked through opt, paying this size cost seemed unnecessary.

vedant