[llvm-dev] llvm-dev not idenitifying me?

[llvm-dev] llvm-dev not idenitifying me?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev
I've made a few posts to the list recently and the author is listed like
this:

  From: via llvm-dev <[hidden email]>
  Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with
   variable vector lengths

Does anyone know why that happens?  e-mails I send everywhere else have
the correct author information.

I am subscribed to the list.

                               -David

Re: [llvm-dev] llvm-dev not idenitifying me?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev

You'll notice I have the same problem, as does everyone else in my company
who is posting from their corporate email.
For us it started in late January, and we are prodding our internal IT to
figure it out.  They don't view it as particularly high priority though.
And honestly I can't really blame them; the mail does go through, it's just
not identified quite the way we'd like.

I suppose it could be a configuration thing on the llvm.org end, I was
assuming it was on the sending side for historical reasons.
--paulr

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:27:18AM -0500, via llvm-dev wrote:
> I've made a few posts to the list recently and the author is listed like
> this:
>
>   From: via llvm-dev <[hidden email]>
>   Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with
>    variable vector lengths
>
> Does anyone know why that happens?  e-mails I send everywhere else have
> the correct author information.

It is supposedly necessary to deal with the anti-spam brain damanage of
Google Mail.

Joerg

via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've made a few posts to the list recently and the author is listed like
> this:
>
>   From: via llvm-dev <[hidden email]>
>   Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with
>    variable vector lengths
>
> Does anyone know why that happens?  e-mails I send everywhere else have
> the correct author information.
>
> I am subscribed to the list.

This is mostly a guess, but as far as I can tell the list's sender
munging tries to parse 'from' addresses for the Name part in "Name
<name@domain>" style email addresses. I suspect that configuring your
email client to include a name rather than just the email address will
help.

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

> via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I've made a few posts to the list recently and the author is listed like
>> this:
>>
>>   From: via llvm-dev <[hidden email]>
>>   Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with
>>    variable vector lengths
>>
>> Does anyone know why that happens?  e-mails I send everywhere else have
>> the correct author information.
>>
>> I am subscribed to the list.
>
> This is mostly a guess, but as far as I can tell the list's sender
> munging tries to parse 'from' addresses for the Name part in "Name
> <name@domain>" style email addresses. I suspect that configuring your
> email client to include a name rather than just the email address will
> help.

Interesting.  Here's a go at it.

                         -David

Re: [llvm-dev] llvm-dev not idenitifying me?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev
On 5 June 2018 at 19:05, David Greene via llvm-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting.  Here's a go at it.

Works! :)

--
cheers,
--renato

On 5 Jun 2018, at 18:24, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:27:18AM -0500, via llvm-dev wrote:
>> I've made a few posts to the list recently and the author is listed like
>> this:
>>
>>  From: via llvm-dev <[hidden email]>
>>  Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with
>>   variable vector lengths
>>
>> Does anyone know why that happens?  e-mails I send everywhere else have
>> the correct author information.
>
> It is supposedly necessary to deal with the anti-spam brain damanage of
> Google Mail.
It's because of the Mailman "Munge" option to cope with DMARC (which is
really a Yahoo thing, but other services appear to use it too):

https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

E.g. very much braindead indeed, but for list admins it is probably the
way of least resistance.

-Dimitry