[llvm-dev] how can i get consumer-typeset exe in debug mode

[llvm-dev] how can i get consumer-typeset exe in debug mode

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev

Hi All,

I have made some changes in AArch64LoadStoreOptimizer.cpp file and with check-llvm all tests are passing successfully.

But in llvm-test suite some tests are failing, like consumer-typeset tests are failing.

Now I want to debug with ‘consumer-typeset’ exe from SANDBOX. But it is release build.

How can I debug this issue in this case and how can I get ‘consumer-typeset’ exe in debug mode?

Could any one please give your suggestions on this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramakota Reddy.

Re: [llvm-dev] how can i get consumer-typeset exe in debug mode

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
Hi Ramakota,

You can get consumer-typeset in debug mode using the -g flag in Clang.

I don’t think this will necessarily help you a lot though. You’re debugging the compiler, not the consumer-typeset source code. Personally, I find the output assembly a bit more useful than actual test source information in this situation.

In situations like this, it’s probably better to see if you can find a SingleSource test failure. These are usually a bit easier to work with than large MultiSource tests. If there are no such failures, you can usually narrow things down by bisecting on object files.

e.g.

1) Compile consumer-typeset with a good compiler
2) Compile consumer-typeset with the compiler you want to debug
3) Link half the object files from the good consumer-typeset with half the object files from the bad consumer-typeset
4) Run the test and see if it fails
5) Repeat until you (hopefully) find one file that causes the issue

From there, you’re usually in a much better position to start debugging the compiler.

- Jessica

On Apr 22, 2019, at 3:15 am, Ramakota Reddy via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I have made some changes in AArch64LoadStoreOptimizer.cpp file and with check-llvm all tests are passing successfully.
But in llvm-test suite some tests are failing, like consumer-typeset tests are failing.

Now I want to debug with ‘consumer-typeset’ exe from SANDBOX. But it is release build.

How can I debug this issue in this case and how can I get ‘consumer-typeset’ exe in debug mode?

Could any one please give your suggestions on this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramakota Reddy.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you. _______________________________________________

Re: [llvm-dev] how can i get consumer-typeset exe in debug mode

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev

Thanks Jessica.

With Regards,