[llvm-dev] base address in llvm location tables in dwarf 4

[llvm-dev] base address in llvm location tables in dwarf 4

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Since fairly recently, llvm started emitting location tables with a base address (0xffffffff + base address) in the location tables. Even for Dwarf 4:
( !{i32 2, !"Dwarf Version", i32 4})

Now I'm not entirely sure if this is supported by V4, but Apple DSymUtil doesn't support this currently. Is there any non code way to make it not emit these?

Re: [llvm-dev] base address in llvm location tables in dwarf 4

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 2:41 AM Carlo Kok via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since fairly recently, llvm started emitting location tables with a base address (0xffffffff + base address) in the location tables. Even for Dwarf 4:
( !{i32 2, !"Dwarf Version", i32 4})
Now I'm not entirely sure if this is supported by V4,

Yep, base address selection entries in location lists are a feature of DWARF4 (& DWARF3 for that matter) - so this is a conforming change. (you can check DWARF specs here: http://dwarfstd.org/Download.php )

but Apple DSymUtil doesn't support this currently. Is there any non code way to make it not emit these?

Nope - there's no flags, etc, for this feature. dsymutil built from LLVM does support this feature, though - so you can build & use the latest dsymutil to go with your clang/llvm compilers.