[llvm-dev] Question regarding to learn LLVM

[llvm-dev] Question regarding to learn LLVM

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev
Hi,

I have basic knowledge about LLVM. I want to make expertise in it and
also start contributing.
So,
How do I start?
Where do I start?
What basic fundamental knowledge is required?
Any study material(books, link).

Thanks,
Amit G

Re: [llvm-dev] Question regarding to learn LLVM

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev
Hi Amit,

I have basic knowledge about LLVM. I want to make expertise in it and
also start contributing.

Great, welcome!

So,
How do I start?

Did you successfully build LLVM? Did you run the test?

Where do I start?

It depends on what you want to achieve. We have a list of open projects here: http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html

Otherwise there is the documentation: http://llvm.org/docs/ and in particular the Kaleidoscope tutorial: http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/index.html

The test directory in LLVM is a good place to get to understand specific part of LLVM as well.

What basic fundamental knowledge is required?
Any study material(books, link).

It really depends on your goals/interests. There are many books about compilers design and/or algorithms, as well as many academic papers in the same domain. But maybe you're more interested in specific applications: security, bug finding, etc.

Mehdi

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Mehdi AMINI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Amit,

> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have basic knowledge about LLVM. I want to make expertise in it and
>> also start contributing.
>

> Great, welcome!
>

>> So,
>> How do I start?
>

> Did you successfully build LLVM? Did you run the test?
Yes, I was successfully build LLVM on my machine.

>> Where do I start?
>

> It depends on what you want to achieve. We have a list of open projects
> here: http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html
>
> Otherwise there is the documentation: http://llvm.org/docs/ and in
> particular the Kaleidoscope tutorial:
> http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/index.html
>
> The test directory in LLVM is a good place to get to understand specific
> part of LLVM as well.
>

>> What basic fundamental knowledge is required?
>> Any study material(books, link).
>

> It really depends on your goals/interests. There are many books about
> compilers design and/or algorithms, as well as many academic papers in the
> same domain. But maybe you're more interested in specific applications:
> security, bug finding, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Mehdi