[llvm-dev] Question about the status of the IR extensions for OpenMP

[llvm-dev] Question about the status of the IR extensions for OpenMP

Jonathan Wakely via llvm-dev
[Apologies if you received this email twice, the first time I sent it
from the wrong email account]

Hi all,

some time ago Intel proposed a set of minimal IR extensions to improve
the support of OpenMP in LLVM [1][2].

I wonder if there has been any progress on this and if it is going to
be upstreamed.

Also the previous proposal[2] and communications to the llvm-dev[3]
mention the following spec:

  LLVM Intrinsic Function and Metadata String Interface for Directive
(or Pragmas) Representation.
  Specification Draft v0.9, Intel Corporation, 2016.

but I have not been able to find it anywhere (at least via a web
search). Is it available somewhere?

Thanks a lot,
Roger

[1] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3148191
[2] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3018872
[3] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-January/108906.html

Re: [llvm-dev] Question about the status of the IR extensions for OpenMP

Jonathan Wakely via llvm-dev
Hi Roger,

There are at least two concurrent efforts that work on an IR extension
similar to what you cite below, one by Intel and one by a researcher
working group. Afaik, both will approach the community in the next few
weeks. (And to make sure they'll see your mail I put them all in the
CC).

In the meantime you could take a look at this proposal [0]. It is not
an IR extension but an abstraction layer that allows to design and
test parallel specific analysis and optimizations on both current and
future parallel representations.

Cheers,
  Johannes

[0] https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-June/123841.html

P.S.
  I realized you saw the proposal already but I didn't want to remove
  the paragraph about it once I was done.

On 06/11, Roger Ferrer Ibáñez via llvm-dev wrote:

> [Apologies if you received this email twice, the first time I sent it
> from the wrong email account]
>
> Hi all,
>
> some time ago Intel proposed a set of minimal IR extensions to improve
> the support of OpenMP in LLVM [1][2].
>
> I wonder if there has been any progress on this and if it is going to
> be upstreamed.
>
> Also the previous proposal[2] and communications to the llvm-dev[3]
> mention the following spec:
>
>   LLVM Intrinsic Function and Metadata String Interface for Directive
> (or Pragmas) Representation.
>   Specification Draft v0.9, Intel Corporation, 2016.
>
> but I have not been able to find it anywhere (at least via a web
> search). Is it available somewhere?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Roger
>
> [1] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3148191
> [2] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3018872
> [3] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-January/108906.html

Johannes Doerfert
PhD Student / Researcher

Compiler Design Lab (Professor Hack) / Argonne National Laboratory
Saarland Informatics Campus, Germany / Lemont, IL 60439, USA
Building E1.3, Room 4.31

Tel. +49 (0)681 302-57521 : [hidden email] / [hidden email]
Fax. +49 (0)681 302-3065  : http://www.cdl.uni-saarland.de/people/doerfert

Re: [llvm-dev] Question about the status of the IR extensions for OpenMP

Jonathan Wakely via llvm-dev
Hi,

thanks a lot Johannes.

I have some (hopefully simple) questions about your proposal. I'll
make them in the original thread, instead.

Kind regards,
Roger

--
Roger Ferrer Ibáñez

Re: [llvm-dev] Question about the status of the IR extensions for OpenMP

Jonathan Wakely via llvm-dev
Hi Roger,

this time I actually put some people in the CC that can probably better
help you.

Cheers,
  Johannes