[llvm-dev] Phabricator default view

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Hi weary warriors of code reviewing,

The default homepage in phabricator leaves some things to be desired IMO:
 - having changes sorted by *creation time* rather than *update time* is a fun way to lose track of things
 - the LLVM-wide activity feed seems not that useful (though fun)
 - as soon as a change lands, it becomes fairly hard to find

Fortunately phabricator is pretty customizable. I've added a couple of views to the main menu:
  - My activity: https://reviews.llvm.org/home/menu/view/133/ is (active reviews, recent commits) x (i'm reviewer, i'm author). Only visible when logged in.
 - All commits: https://reviews.llvm.org/home/menu/view/135/ is the firehose

I'd like to make "my activity" the default view for logged-in users, and "all commits" the default when logged out. (This is done by removing "home" from the menu).

These aren't optimal for any particular person (e.g. I'd like to see all clangd changes), and people should consider creating a custom dashboard if you use phabricator heavily. But I think they're reasonable defaults and a step up from what we have now.

Let me know what you think, especially if you prefer the status quo for some specific reason.
If people are generally positive, I'll change this next week. We can easily roll back.

Cheers, Sam

On 23.11.18 14:59, Sam McCall via llvm-dev wrote:

> Hi weary warriors of code reviewing,
>
> The default homepage in phabricator leaves some things to be desired IMO:
>   - having changes sorted by *creation time* rather than *update time*
> is a fun way to lose track of things
>   - the LLVM-wide activity feed seems not that useful (though fun)
>   - as soon as a change lands, it becomes fairly hard to find
>
> Fortunately phabricator is pretty customizable. I've added a couple of
> views to the main menu:
>    - My activity: https://reviews.llvm.org/home/menu/view/133/ is
> (active reviews, recent commits) x (i'm reviewer, i'm author). Only
> visible when logged in.
>   - All commits: https://reviews.llvm.org/home/menu/view/135/ is the
> firehose
>
> I'd like to make "my activity" the default view for logged-in users, and
> "all commits" the default when logged out. (This is done by removing
> "home" from the menu).
>
> These aren't optimal for any particular person (e.g. I'd like to see all
> clangd changes), and people should consider creating a custom dashboard
> if you use phabricator heavily. But I think they're reasonable defaults
> and a step up from what we have now.
>
> Let me know what you think, especially if you prefer the status quo for
> some specific reason.
> If people are generally positive, I'll change this next week. We can
> easily roll back.

FWIW, I just compared your "My activity" view with the default home
page, and it does seem more useful. (I also tend not to use the home
page, but your rearrangement might perhaps change that.)

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Cheers, Sam

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.

[...]

I agree this is a much better default view for logged in users.

- Michael Spencer

Re: [llvm-dev] Phabricator default view

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Ah, I tried switching the default, and it doesn't work as I expected.

The "My activity" view isn't shown in the menu for logged-out users, but it's still selected as the homepage, so reviews.llvm.org is an error page.
This seems like a blocker, I'll file a bug against phabricator.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:38 AM Michael Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have to say, thanks for this.  I discovered I'm a reviewer on a couple of things…

Is there a way to get "all open reviews that I'm subscribed to" (as opposed to, listed as a reviewer)?

Thanks,

--paulr

Re: [llvm-dev] Phabricator default view

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
I was originally using a dashboard similar to the one Sam created that included a panel with my subscription. Because that was a little too dense I've switched to using the default one and have a separate dashboard for subscriptions. I think it should be accessible to everyone: https://reviews.llvm.org/dashboard/view/28/

I added it as a menu item so it shows up as "Subscribed" under my activity in the left column.

Cheers,
Jonas