[llvm-dev] Managing two versions of LLVM on the computer?

[llvm-dev] Managing two versions of LLVM on the computer?

Amara Emerson via llvm-dev
I wanted to try installing both LLVM 8 and 9 on the same machine and managing them with a version control system, but is this possible?  And if so, would Git be a good version control system to use?  How do LLVM developers use it for that (if they do)?

Re: [llvm-dev] Managing two versions of LLVM on the computer?

Amara Emerson via llvm-dev
I haven't heard of anyone doing that - I'd personally build and install them with different suffixes (so you'd have "clang-8" and "clang-7" or the like).

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 5:23 PM Osman Zakir via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to try installing both LLVM 8 and 9 on the same machine and managing them with a version control system, but is this possible?  And if so, would Git be a good version control system to use?  How do LLVM developers use it for that (if they do)?

Re: [llvm-dev] Managing two versions of LLVM on the computer?

Amara Emerson via llvm-dev
Hi Osman,

Not sure if I understood correctly, what is the role of Git in this scenario?
For my use cases I just copy a number of precompiled versions[1] of LLVM and put them under /opt/llvm/. Here is how it looks like on my machine:

> ls /opt/llvm/
3.8.0  3.9.0  4.0.0  5.0.0  6.0.0  7.0.0  8.0.0  monorepo

Then ,when I need to use a different version to compile something I usually override compiler using environment variables, e.g.:

> export CC=/opt/llvm/3.9.0/bin/clang
> export CXX=/opt/llvm/3.9.0/bin/clang++
> cmake or whatever else is needed

I hope it helps.