[llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Hello,

I am trying to access https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm to be able to cherry pick some of the recent commits I did in the monorepo into our downstream llvm-only repository.

The host seems defunct, is this part of the move to the monorepo?

I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.

Francesco

Re: [llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Francesco Petrogalli via llvm-dev

Yes, the repo is at https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git now.

> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the
> paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.

We used to use -Xsubtree (I think that's the correct spelling) for
accommodating changes in the directory layout.  That might help.
--paulr

Re: [llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.

IIRC, the -p option of 'patch' is exactly for doing this. Would that simplify your use-case?

> On 14. Nov 2019, at 22:12, Francesco Petrogalli via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm to be able to cherry pick some of the recent commits I did in the monorepo into our downstream llvm-only repository.
>
> The host seems defunct, is this part of the move to the monorepo?
>
> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.
>
> Francesco

Re: [llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 1:52 AM, Alex Denisov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.
>
> IIRC, the -p option of 'patch' is exactly for doing this. Would that simplify your use-case?

Yes, for a single patch that would work. If there is a way to do that also when `git cherry-picking` from monorepo to llvm-only it would be great.

Francesco

>> On 14. Nov 2019, at 22:12, Francesco Petrogalli via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to access https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm to be able to cherry pick some of the recent commits I did in the monorepo into our downstream llvm-only repository.
>>
>> The host seems defunct, is this part of the move to the monorepo?
>>
>> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.
>>
>> Francesco

Re: [llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
This what `llvm-mirror` used to do, but it is behind now, as SVN hosts
are offline as well:

https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm

Will Dietz mentioned that he would want to offload maintenance of mirror
to somebody else eventually:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-July/133869.html

Mirrors of individual projects have the downside that git hashes would
not be compatible with the monorepo.

-Petr

Francesco Petrogalli via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On Nov 15, 2019, at 1:52 AM, Alex Denisov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I can just get the patch and remove the `llvm` on top of
>>> the paths, but that’s not a scalable approach.
>>
>> IIRC, the -p option of 'patch' is exactly for doing this. Would that
>> simplify your use-case?
>>

> Yes, for a single patch that would work. If there is a way to do that
> also when `git cherry-picking` from monorepo to llvm-only it would be
> great.

As Paul implied, you may be able to use git's "subtree" merge strategy
to help with this:
```
git cherry-pick -Xsubtree=llvm ...
```

The `-Xsubtree=llvm` flag also works with other git commands like merge
and rebase if you need to do something more complicated.

Re: [llvm-dev] LLVM projects and monorepo.

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev

> On Dec 4, 2019, at 9:34 AM, Justin Bogner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Francesco Petrogalli via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> IIRC, the -p option of 'patch' is exactly for doing this. Would that
>>> simplify your use-case?
>>>

>> Yes, for a single patch that would work. If there is a way to do that
>> also when `git cherry-picking` from monorepo to llvm-only it would be
>> great.
>
> As Paul implied, you may be able to use git's "subtree" merge strategy
> to help with this:
> ```
> git cherry-pick -Xsubtree=llvm ...
> ```

The subtree strategy worked perfectly, thank you!

```
>$ git cherry-pick -Xsubtree=llvm eac93757c39bbd2b2290d7543619eebd770c3141
[SHOJICOMP-4520 d6b529e] [VectorUtils] API for VFShape, update VFInfo.
 Date: Wed Nov 20 20:51:24 2019 +0000
```

Francesco