[llvm-dev] Couldn't successfully generate project files for LLVM (checked out from trunk)

[llvm-dev] Couldn't successfully generate project files for LLVM (checked out from trunk)

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
I'm using CMake version 3.12.3 on Windows 10 Home.  I checked out LLVM, Clang, Clang extra tools, Compiler-RT, LLD, LibOMP, LIBCXX, and LIBCXXABI with SVN and am now trying to generate project files.  But LLD, among some other things, wasn't found (even though put all of those in the documented directories inside the LLVM source tree).  And a lot of the tests failed.  I'm attaching the CMake error and output logs to this message.  Please help me out.

I'm trying to build it from source and added the "-DLLVM_EXPERIMENTAL_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=WebAssembly".  I'm not trying to ask for help on targeting WebAssembly, though, but only on building LLVM from source.  For now it's specifically generating Visual Studio 2017 project files.

I added the -Thost=x64 flag to CMake as well, but it still seemed to target x86.  Why?

Anyway, please help.

CMakeError.log (800K) Download Attachment
CMakeOutput.log (276K) Download Attachment

Re: [llvm-dev] Couldn't successfully generate project files for LLVM (checked out from trunk)

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
I'm replying here to give an update.  I installed CMake 3.13.0 and then tried to generate project file again, but had the same result.  I'm attaching the updated logs to this message.

I did check out the source files from the trunk and put them into the directories specified in the instruction on building LLVM from source on llvm.org.  Do I have to manually specify the paths to the files somehow (if so, where and how? Do I need to edit CMakeFiles.txt?)?

CMakeError.log (806K) Download Attachment
CMakeOutput.log (292K) Download Attachment

Re: [llvm-dev] Couldn't successfully generate project files for LLVM (checked out from trunk)

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Thanks for the reply.

The problem may really have been that I was trying to use C:/Program Files/LLVM/install_x64 as the value for the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX macro.  I do have LLD and Clang in C:/llvm/tools/lld and C:/llvm/tools/clang respectively.  I did try to use the "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" as the generator, but I got a warning about complications that may arise if I were to do that.

I'll try it again, this time putting the installation directory in the same root folder as the source file, and then get back to this mailing list with the results.

I tried to use the command line tool for CMake, rather than the GUI.  I find that easier in some cases.  Would be great if I knew the flags I need to use to have it locate LLD and Clang and build them when using the command line tool.

I will tell you what I did when recently building LLVM v7 on Windows, in case this might help. I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I did eventually get it built (including with WebAssembly).

First off, I believe there may be a problem building from a folder with a space as part of the name (e.g., "Program Files"). So, I put the source in D:\libs\llvm. The same is true for fixing up INSTALL_PREFIX to another folder (which does not have spaces in it). If you don't get that right, the latter "install" step does not work properly.

 It turns out that LLD and Clang not only need to be placed in the tools folder, but also using the correct name (lld and clang). When this is right, CMake notices their presence and the CMake GUI offers up the options to build Clang and LLD.

If you want to build the 64-bit LLVM, be sure you are using the right Visual Studio generator. If you use the CMake GUI on a fresh install-to folder, it will ask you which generator to use, and you need to specify the VIsual Studio 2017 generator for 64-bit (vs. the x86 one).

Hope these tips help you some...