[llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Dear prospective LLVM GSoC Mentors,

The organization application period for GSoC 2020 will open on
January, 14. This means that we're having some time to prepare the
list of project ideas for the next year.

When proposing the project please keep in mind the following criteria:
1. The project should serve both LLVM as a project and provide the
relevant LLVM knowledge to the student.
2. The project should contribute directly to LLVM, clang or LLVM
compiler infrastructure subproject (e.g. not related to some
out-of-tree 3rd party project just using LLVM).
3. There should be well-defined scope of the project and some set of
"deliverables" at the end of the project.
4. The project should be either developed in the LLVM mainline or be
ready to be committed to LLVM at the end of GSoC period.

The Open Projects page was just updated to include the necessary
boilerplate, so feel free to propose the projects there.

Thanks!

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

Re: [llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Hi all,

may I ask about the current status of this?

The deadline for organizations to apply is February 5, 2020; has an application
already been made?

Another thing: https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html states that MLIR related
projects can be found on https://mlir.llvm.org/getting_started/openprojects/. I
suggest adding these projects (including some more background information) to
our common list, just like other sub-projects do.

Cheers,
David

> On 23. Dec 2019, at 11:00, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear prospective LLVM GSoC Mentors,
>
> The organization application period for GSoC 2020 will open on
> January, 14. This means that we're having some time to prepare the
> list of project ideas for the next year.
>
> When proposing the project please keep in mind the following criteria:
> 1. The project should serve both LLVM as a project and provide the
> relevant LLVM knowledge to the student.
> 2. The project should contribute directly to LLVM, clang or LLVM
> compiler infrastructure subproject (e.g. not related to some
> out-of-tree 3rd party project just using LLVM).
> 3. There should be well-defined scope of the project and some set of
> "deliverables" at the end of the project.
> 4. The project should be either developed in the LLVM mainline or be
> ready to be committed to LLVM at the end of GSoC period.
>
> The Open Projects page was just updated to include the necessary
> boilerplate, so feel free to propose the projects there.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

Re: [llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
(FWIW, we should move this discussion to a single list.)

On 01/24, David Tellenbach via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> may I ask about the current status of this?

I don't understand. We will participate in GSoC again, at least I
strongly expect us to. Past years have been great for students and
LLVM.

I will put (at least) 2 more projects online soon, people should do the
same if they have interesting ones :)

> The deadline for organizations to apply is February 5, 2020; has an application
> already been made?

Anton knows ;)

> Another thing: https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html states that MLIR related
> projects can be found on https://mlir.llvm.org/getting_started/openprojects/. I
> suggest adding these projects (including some more background information) to
> our common list, just like other sub-projects do.

We have done it both ways before: https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html#subprojects
TBH, I don't know what is better though.

Cheers,
  Johannes

> > On 23. Dec 2019, at 11:00, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear prospective LLVM GSoC Mentors,
> >
> > The organization application period for GSoC 2020 will open on
> > January, 14. This means that we're having some time to prepare the
> > list of project ideas for the next year.
> >
> > When proposing the project please keep in mind the following criteria:
> > 1. The project should serve both LLVM as a project and provide the
> > relevant LLVM knowledge to the student.
> > 2. The project should contribute directly to LLVM, clang or LLVM
> > compiler infrastructure subproject (e.g. not related to some
> > out-of-tree 3rd party project just using LLVM).
> > 3. There should be well-defined scope of the project and some set of
> > "deliverables" at the end of the project.
> > 4. The project should be either developed in the LLVM mainline or be
> > ready to be committed to LLVM at the end of GSoC period.
> >
> > The Open Projects page was just updated to include the necessary
> > boilerplate, so feel free to propose the projects there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> > Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

Johannes Doerfert
Researcher

Argonne National Laboratory
Lemont, IL 60439, USA

Re: [llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Hello David,
I believe Johannes already answered your questions, but just to
clarify the things fully: yes, we are going to submit an application
to participate in GSoC this year as usual. I will take care of
necessary paperwork and stuff.
Currently we're collecting the list of summer projects here and there.
It's perfectly fine to have the lists from sub-projects to be posted
on their respective websites as a part of corresponding "Open
Projects" pages.
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM David Tellenbach
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> may I ask about the current status of this?
>
> The deadline for organizations to apply is February 5, 2020; has an application
> already been made?
>
> Another thing: https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html states that MLIR related
> projects can be found on https://mlir.llvm.org/getting_started/openprojects/. I
> suggest adding these projects (including some more background information) to
> our common list, just like other sub-projects do.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> > On 23. Dec 2019, at 11:00, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev wrote:
> >
> > Dear prospective LLVM GSoC Mentors,
> >
> > The organization application period for GSoC 2020 will open on
> > January, 14. This means that we're having some time to prepare the
> > list of project ideas for the next year.
> >
> > When proposing the project please keep in mind the following criteria:
> > 1. The project should serve both LLVM as a project and provide the
> > relevant LLVM knowledge to the student.
> > 2. The project should contribute directly to LLVM, clang or LLVM
> > compiler infrastructure subproject (e.g. not related to some
> > out-of-tree 3rd party project just using LLVM).
> > 3. There should be well-defined scope of the project and some set of
> > "deliverables" at the end of the project.
> > 4. The project should be either developed in the LLVM mainline or be
> > ready to be committed to LLVM at the end of GSoC period.
> >
> > The Open Projects page was just updated to include the necessary
> > boilerplate, so feel free to propose the projects there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> > Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

Re: [llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Hi,

sorry for the late response. Yes, my question is answered.

I hadn't any doubt that LLVM will participate in GSoC and my question aimed on knowing if it's too late to propose a project - sorry for being unclear here.

Thanks for organising LLVM's GSoC participation!

Cheers,
David

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> may I ask about the current status of this?
>
> The deadline for organizations to apply is February 5, 2020; has an application
> already been made?
>
> Another thing: https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html states that MLIR related
> projects can be found on https://mlir.llvm.org/getting_started/openprojects/. I
> suggest adding these projects (including some more background information) to
> our common list, just like other sub-projects do.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> > On 23. Dec 2019, at 11:00, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev wrote:
> >
> > Dear prospective LLVM GSoC Mentors,
> >
> > The organization application period for GSoC 2020 will open on
> > January, 14. This means that we're having some time to prepare the
> > list of project ideas for the next year.
> >
> > When proposing the project please keep in mind the following criteria:
> > 1. The project should serve both LLVM as a project and provide the
> > relevant LLVM knowledge to the student.
> > 2. The project should contribute directly to LLVM, clang or LLVM
> > compiler infrastructure subproject (e.g. not related to some
> > out-of-tree 3rd party project just using LLVM).
> > 3. There should be well-defined scope of the project and some set of
> > "deliverables" at the end of the project.
> > 4. The project should be either developed in the LLVM mainline or be
> > ready to be committed to LLVM at the end of GSoC period.
> >
> > The Open Projects page was just updated to include the necessary
> > boilerplate, so feel free to propose the projects there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> > Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University

Re: [llvm-dev] Call for GSoC 2020 projects

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev
Sure, feel free to propose a project!