[llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

[llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev

Hello again LLVM-Mailinglist,

This time I have no technical question however…

Personally I’m a big fan of the LLVM, the concept behind it – as far as I understood it – and your work in general. I use the LLVM to develop various JIT applications that load the LLVM bytecode files under Windows – my many many questions are usually about this subject.

Still after a year I feel like being a noob in that area. This is why I wonder if attempting the EuroLLVM2020 would help me with that. Of course, I never attempted such a convention so I have no idea if the talks will be way over my head, or if there are any activities to pick up beginner?

Thank you again for any help!

Kind greetings

Björn

Als GmbH eingetragen im Handelsregister Bad Homburg v.d.H. HRB 9816, USt.ID-Nr. DE 114 165 789 Geschäftsführer: Dr. Hiroshi Nakamura, Dr. Robert Plank, Markus Bode, Heiko Lampert, Takashi Nagano, Takeshi Fukushima. Junichi Tajika

Re: [llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev

Hi, Björn,

It is a specific goal of the LLVM Foundation to increase the amount of educational material at the developers' meetings. At the US meeting this year, we had more tutorials than ever before, and we want the meetings to be productive for both experts and novices alike. Moreover, if there are specific topics on which you would like to see tutorials or other kinds of sessions, please do let us know. Feedback in this regard (from everybody) is very helpful.

 -Hal

On 11/22/19 9:38 AM, Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev wrote:

[...]

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 7:38 AM Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello again LLVM-Mailinglist,

This time I have no technical question however…

Personally I’m a big fan of the LLVM, the concept behind it – as far as I understood it – and your work in general. I use the LLVM to develop various JIT applications that load the LLVM bytecode files under Windows – my many many questions are usually about this subject.

Still after a year I feel like being a noob in that area. This is why I wonder if attempting the EuroLLVM2020 would help me with that. Of course, I never attempted such a convention so I have no idea if the talks will be way over my head,

The talks from the previous conferences are online, you could check the ones from EuroLLVM 2019 to get an idea of the content: https://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-04/

or if there are any activities to pick up beginner?

Something that is fairly common in the feedback on the Dev Meeting (as far as I know) is that one of the main benefit attendees get out of the event is to network with other people sharing similar interests.
The round-tables, tutorials, and the hallway/lunch/dinner discussions are really great reasons to attend.

Best,

--
Mehdi

Re: [llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev

Hi Hal,

Who would I send those suggestions to which I would like to see - or feedback in general?

Kind greetings

Björn

Re: [llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev

I received this request off-list:

> I would really love seeing presentations or workshops about the JIT. Kinda like the KaldeiscopeJIT tutorials but in a guided way to ask questions and improve understanding about it. Especially for use under windows since this seems to be rather rare.

 -Hal

On 11/26/19 10:49 AM, Hal Finkel wrote:

If you have suggestions for content, sending that here is probably best. That way we can all see what people are interested in seeing and so that others can also comment. If you have suggestions on logistics, etc. then I think that [hidden email] is a good place. cc'ing Tanya in case she'd like to offer further advice.

 -Hal

On 11/25/19 12:39 AM, Gaier, Bjoern wrote:

Hi Hal,

Who would I send those suggestions to which I would like to see - or feedback in general?

Kind greetings

Björn

Re: [llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev
Hi Hal, Bjoern,

 I would really love seeing presentations or workshops about the JIT. Kinda like the KaldeiscopeJIT tutorials but in a guided way to ask questions and improve understanding about it.

Are you looking for recipe-style “how to do it” documentation? Or a higher-level design docs? I’m aware of the need for both, and have added

and

However they’re both pretty rough and minimal so far.

We’re due for some tutorial modernization too, but I’ve been prioritizing ORCv2 development.

Especially for use under windows since this seems to be rather rare.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to Windows to test, so I’m not sure how smooth the tutorials are here. Are you running in to any specific issues with them?

Cheers,
Lang.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 2, 2019, at 12:25 AM, Finkel, Hal J. <[hidden email]> wrote:

I received this request off-list:

> I would really love seeing presentations or workshops about the JIT. Kinda like the KaldeiscopeJIT tutorials but in a guided way to ask questions and improve understanding about it. Especially for use under windows since this seems to be rather rare.

 -Hal

On 11/26/19 10:49 AM, Hal Finkel wrote:

If you have suggestions for content, sending that here is probably best. That way we can all see what people are interested in seeing and so that others can also comment. If you have suggestions on logistics, etc. then I think that [hidden email] is a good place. cc'ing Tanya in case she'd like to offer further advice.

 -Hal

On 11/25/19 12:39 AM, Gaier, Bjoern wrote:

Hi Hal,

Who would I send those suggestions to which I would like to see - or feedback in general?

Kind greetings

Björn

Re: [llvm-dev] Attempting EuroLLVM2020 as a beginner

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev

Hey Lang,

Thank you for those links! I will look into them the next days – hopefully.

I think I’m actually looking for recipe-style and a higher-level design. Not sure how to explain it, but I’m pretty new to the JIT subject. I started with the MCJIT (I guess?) and tons of help from you Lang (Thanks again for that). I was then able to do the following with the MCJIT:

  • Providing my own memory (not using what ever the LLVM is hiding from me)
    • Placing code into shared memory for example
  • Providing my own addresses for symbols (not using the correct addresses from the process it runs on)
    • Again for shared memory purposes
  • Changing the code model to small and using PIC relocations

Then I noticed that Orc was coming and I started with Kaleidoscope tutorial – that was good for a short introduction, but didn’t helped me with any of the stuff I was able to do with MCJIT – now I learned, that even an Orc2 is coming? I start to become a bit lost!

From the tutorial I personally hope to:

  1. Learn how to do the stuff I was able to do with MCJIT
  2. Learn more about the LLVM concepts itself (How can I ask for things I’m not aware of?)
  3. Learn best practises

For point 3. for example: I learned that I can resolve functions with plain functions in the LLVM::Module – is it better to resolve a function there or waiting for MCJIT to do it there? Stuff like that…

All in all I would like to become more independent – hoping to understand the basics so I could learn/discover the more complex stuff myself.

I really hope that made things more clear? It Is difficult for me to explain because the entire subject is really complex.

Kind greetings

Björn