[llvm-dev] [8.0.0 Release] Release schedule

[llvm-dev] [8.0.0 Release] Release schedule

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Hello everyone,

I know 7.0.1 isn't out the door yet, and 8.0.0 isn't due for a while,
so relax :-) But I would like to get the schedule decided before folks
disappear over the holidays.

According to the usual schedule, the branch would be created two weeks
into January, with the goal of shipping early March, so this is my
proposal:

- 16 January 2019: Create the 8.0.0 branch, RC1 tagged soon after.

- 6 February, RC2 tag.

- 27 February, Final tag, release shipping a few days after.

What do you think, especially release testers?

For the 6.0.0 release, the branch was created earlier in January after
a request from the community. This time I haven't heard anything, but
please let me know if a different schedule would be better for you.

Ideally I'd like to finalize and post the schedule by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Hans

Re: [llvm-dev] [8.0.0 Release] Release schedule

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
A quick question the Linux kernel recently added goto ask which isn't supported by clang 7 as far as I can tell.

Is there any work being done to implement these features or any suggestion to work around those gnu extensions?

Best,
Owen

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018, 21:05 Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 13:43, blubee blubeeme via llvm-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A quick question the Linux kernel recently added goto ask which isn't supported by clang 7 as far as I can tell.
>
> Is there any work being done to implement these features or any suggestion to work around those gnu extensions?

Hi Owen,

See https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/6 and
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-October/127239.html and
https://reviews.llvm.org/D53765

Further discussion about asm goto would probably be best done on a new
thread (or even better, in response to the existing RFC thread).

Best,

Alex

Re: [llvm-dev] [8.0.0 Release] Release schedule

Alberto Barbaro via llvm-dev
Hi Hans,

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 14:05, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know 7.0.1 isn't out the door yet, and 8.0.0 isn't due for a while,
> so relax :-) But I would like to get the schedule decided before folks
> disappear over the holidays.
>
> According to the usual schedule, the branch would be created two weeks
> into January, with the goal of shipping early March, so this is my
> proposal:
>
> - 16 January 2019: Create the 8.0.0 branch, RC1 tagged soon after.
>
> - 6 February, RC2 tag.
>
> - 27 February, Final tag, release shipping a few days after.
>
> What do you think, especially release testers?

From an ARM/AArch64 release testing point of view this schedule sounds
good to me.

Thanks,
Yvan

> For the 6.0.0 release, the branch was created earlier in January after
> a request from the community. This time I haven't heard anything, but
> please let me know if a different schedule would be better for you.
>
> Ideally I'd like to finalize and post the schedule by the end of the week.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

Re: [llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] [8.0.0 Release] Release schedule

On 03.12.2018 14:04, Hans Wennborg via lldb-dev wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know 7.0.1 isn't out the door yet, and 8.0.0 isn't due for a while,
> so relax :-) But I would like to get the schedule decided before folks
> disappear over the holidays.
>
> According to the usual schedule, the branch would be created two weeks
> into January, with the goal of shipping early March, so this is my
> proposal:
>
> - 16 January 2019: Create the 8.0.0 branch, RC1 tagged soon after.
>
> - 6 February, RC2 tag.
>
> - 27 February, Final tag, release shipping a few days after.
>
> What do you think, especially release testers?

From NetBSD point of view Jan 16th is good. Earlier date would be nervous.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 2:04 PM Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know 7.0.1 isn't out the door yet, and 8.0.0 isn't due for a while,
> so relax :-) But I would like to get the schedule decided before folks
> disappear over the holidays.
>
> According to the usual schedule, the branch would be created two weeks
> into January, with the goal of shipping early March, so this is my
> proposal:
>
> - 16 January 2019: Create the 8.0.0 branch, RC1 tagged soon after.
>
> - 6 February, RC2 tag.
>
> - 27 February, Final tag, release shipping a few days after.
>
> What do you think, especially release testers?
>
> For the 6.0.0 release, the branch was created earlier in January after
> a request from the community. This time I haven't heard anything, but
> please let me know if a different schedule would be better for you.
>
> Ideally I'd like to finalize and post the schedule by the end of the week.

Thanks everyone! I've posted the schedule on the web page.