llvm as a safe language IR?

Martin "Pärtel"
Hello,

I'm trying to avoid having to design my own IR for a hobby language that needs
safety guarantees similar to those of Java. Have there been any plans or
attempts to write a safety verifier for llvm object code or define a set of
easily verifiable instructions that can be translated to llvm quickly?

Re: llvm as a safe language IR?

Chris Lattner
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Martin [iso-8859-1] Pärtel wrote:
> I'm trying to avoid having to design my own IR for a hobby language that needs
> safety guarantees similar to those of Java. Have there been any plans or
> attempts to write a safety verifier for llvm object code or define a set of
> easily verifiable instructions that can be translated to llvm quickly?

Check out SAFECode: http://safecode.cs.uiuc.edu/

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest to
LLVM-with-safety that there is so far.

Re: llvm as a safe language IR?

Karl Magdsick
You can also check out SafeTSA, which has been used in a research
project as a static single assignement Java class file format which
supports the JVM's type safety enforcement.  Several papers
are linked from the SafeTSA wikipedia article.

-Karl