llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Chris Lattner-2
Hi All,

Here is my current draft of the LLVM 2.1 release announcement.
Unlike previous announcements, I'm not planning to largely duplicate
the release notes in the announcement.

In addition to this, I've checked in the first draft of the release
notes into llvm/docs/ReleaseNotes.html (http://llvm.org/docs/
ReleaseNotes.html).

I'd really appreciate it if anyone who contributed to LLVM 2.1 could
review the release notes and clean up the description of their (or
others') contributions.  The ordering in the release notes isn't
final, and feel free to add items that I've overlooked!

-Chris

Project Notes:
--------------

The LLVM 2.1 has many improvements, including three new front-ends,
huge reduction in -O3 compile times, a new (beta) MIPS backend, and
many optimizer/code generator changes that allow LLVM to produce
better code.  In addition to new features, LLVM 2.1 includes a large
number of bug fixes found by compiling a huge number of applications,
OS kernels, and very large open source projects.

Organizationally, the LLVM 2.1 cycle is memorable for several
reasons.  In this release we switched from CVS to SVN, moved llvm-gcc
to the main LLVM server (it used to be in a private repository which
was mirrored publicly once a day), and grew the community very
rapidly: we added many new commiters.  Another interesting metric is
the the main LLVM repository (not counting llvm-gcc or other separate
projects) crossed 500K LOC: http://llvm.org/nightlytest/locgraph.php?
xsize=900&ysize=600 .

One of the highlights of this release cycle was the ability for many
of us to get together to meet face to face at the 2007 LLVM Developer
Meeting: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/ .  If you're interested,
many great talks about LLVM are available on that page, including a
great section where everyone introduces themselves to the world :).

In the end, the most exciting thing about the LLVM project is seeing
all the ways that people apply the technology and having happy
users.  If you're currently using LLVM for nifty things or are
writing papers, please let us know.  There are a bunch of nice new
publications available (see http://llvm.org/pubs/ ), but I am certain
that we're missing some.  If you're using LLVM please let us know -
*particularly* if there is something you don't like about it. :)

Instead of a including a listing of the major features in this
announcement as I normally do, I'll point you to the LLVM 2.1 release
notes [ http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#whatsnew ] which
includes the high-level items.

This release wouldn't be possible without many people in the LLVM
community: building new features, reporting bugs, testing the pre-
release
bits, and contributing in many other ways.  Tanya (our release manager)
deserves a lot of credit for this being the smoothest and best
release so
far, as well keeping our releases coming out on time!

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the LLVMdev
mailing list (llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu)!

-Chris

Previous Announcement (LLVM 2.0):
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-announce/2007-May/000023.html

Re: llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Bugzilla from maarten@treewalker.org
On Friday 21 September 2007, Chris Lattner wrote:

> In addition to this, I've checked in the first draft of the release
> notes into llvm/docs/ReleaseNotes.html (http://llvm.org/docs/
> ReleaseNotes.html).

The release notes mention llvm-gcc 4.2, but the prerelease only included
llvm-gcc 4.0. Is the final release going to include 4.0 or 4.2 or both?

Bye,
                Maarten

Re: llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Ralph Corderoy

Hi Chris,

Minor gripe.

> This release wouldn't be possible without many people in the LLVM
> community: building new features, reporting bugs, testing the pre-
> release
> bits, and contributing in many other ways.  Tanya (our release manager)
> deserves a lot of credit for this being the smoothest and best
> release so
> far, as well keeping our releases coming out on time!

Formatting's out for this paragraph.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Re: llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Vikram S. Adve
Chris,

In addition to the pubs page in the paragraph below, you should also
mention the Users page:
        http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/Users.html

I think this page is quite under-populated.  While on that topic, we
would like to encourage users who are willing to have their projects
listed on this page to send email to John Criswell
([hidden email]) or reply to llvmdev with the information in
the appropriate table (Industry, Academic/Research, Education, Open
Source).

Thanks,

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.org

On Sep 20, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> In the end, the most exciting thing about the LLVM project is seeing
> all the ways that people apply the technology and having happy
> users.  If you're currently using LLVM for nifty things or are
> writing papers, please let us know.  There are a bunch of nice new
> publications available (see http://llvm.org/pubs/ ), but I am certain
> that we're missing some.  If you're using LLVM please let us know -
> *particularly* if there is something you don't like about it. :)

Re: llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Tanya Lattner-2

>> In addition to this, I've checked in the first draft of the release
>> notes into llvm/docs/ReleaseNotes.html (http://llvm.org/docs/
>> ReleaseNotes.html).
>
> The release notes mention llvm-gcc 4.2, but the prerelease only included
> llvm-gcc 4.0. Is the final release going to include 4.0 or 4.2 or both?

I will be releasing a source tar ball of llvm-gcc4.2, but we will not be
generating binaries or doing extensive testing. This is primarily because
we did not know what the state of llvm-gcc4.2 would be for the release and
did not figure it into the release plan. For LLVM 2.2, we will most likely
be treating it equal to llvm-gcc4.0.

I do think the release notes should be reworded to indicate that
llvm-gcc4.2 is beta only and that we did not do extensive testing.

Thanks,
Tanya

Re: llvm 2.1 announcement draft

Chris Lattner

On Sep 21, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:

>> The release notes mention llvm-gcc 4.2, but the prerelease only
>> included
>> llvm-gcc 4.0. Is the final release going to include 4.0 or 4.2 or
>> both?
>
> I will be releasing a source tar ball of llvm-gcc4.2, but we will
> not be
> generating binaries or doing extensive testing. This is primarily
> because
> we did not know what the state of llvm-gcc4.2 would be for the
> release and
> did not figure it into the release plan. For LLVM 2.2, we will most
> likely
> be treating it equal to llvm-gcc4.0.

Right.

> I do think the release notes should be reworded to indicate that
> llvm-gcc4.2 is beta only and that we did not do extensive testing.

I agree.

I strongly encourage people to just hack away at the release notes
and commit their changes (or send a patch).  They are not even close
to their final form, and I'd appreciate help with them :)