link time optimization doc

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

link time optimization doc

Devang Patel
Hi All,

I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc directory  
to describe LTO interface.

-
Devang
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Chris Lattner
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Devang Patel wrote:
> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc directory to
> describe LTO interface.

Here's a link: :)
http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Bram Adams
Hi,

Op 13-aug-03, om 19:35 heeft Chris Lattner het volgende geschreven:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Devang Patel wrote:
>> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc  
>> directory to describe LTO interface.
>
> Here's a link: :)
> http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html

Does the LTO-interface function already, or is functionality  
currently limited (this is what I understood from the 1.8 release  
notes)? In the latter case, what are the limitations/plans? Does it  
work with the 3.x-frontend too?

Kind regards,

Bram Adams
GH-SEL, INTEC, Ghent University
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Reid Spencer-2
In reply to this post by Devang Patel
Devang,

Wonderful! Thanks for explaining this, it really helps.

I took the liberty of fixing a few grammatical errors and some HTML
usage/style things. No significant change to the content was made.

Reid.

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 11:23 -0700, Devang Patel wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc directory  
> to describe LTO interface.
>
> -
> Devang
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Vikram S. Adve-2
Devang,

That's a nice addition to LLVM!

Incidentally, the term "cross-module" is becoming a standard term for  
what you called "intermodular," e.g., HP and others have written  
papers on their "cross-module optimizer."  It would be worth  
replacing "intermodular" in the doc.

Thanks,

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/


On Aug 14, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> Devang,
>
> Wonderful! Thanks for explaining this, it really helps.
>
> I took the liberty of fixing a few grammatical errors and some HTML
> usage/style things. No significant change to the content was made.
>
> Reid.
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 11:23 -0700, Devang Patel wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc directory
>> to describe LTO interface.
>>
>> -
>> Devang
>> _______________________________________________
>> LLVM Developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Devang Patel
In reply to this post by Reid Spencer-2

On Aug 14, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> Devang,
>
> Wonderful! Thanks for explaining this, it really helps.
>
> I took the liberty of fixing a few grammatical errors and some HTML
> usage/style things.

My HTML voodoo is weak and I could not figure out a way to add code,  
hence all <br>s.
Thanks,
-
Devang

> No significant change to the content was made.
>
> Reid.
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 11:23 -0700, Devang Patel wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc directory
>> to describe LTO interface.
>>
>> -
>> Devang
>> _______________________________________________
>> LLVM Developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Devang Patel
In reply to this post by Bram Adams

On Aug 14, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Bram Adams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Op 13-aug-03, om 19:35 heeft Chris Lattner het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Devang Patel wrote:
>>> I have installed LinkTimeOptimization.html document in doc  
>>> directory to describe LTO interface.
>>
>> Here's a link: :)
>> http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html
>
> Does the LTO-interface function already, or is functionality  
> currently limited (this is what I understood
> from the 1.8 release notes)?

I think, 1.8 release notes does not refer to this tool, instead it  
refers to llvm-ld tool.

> In the latter case, what are the limitations/plans?

This approach requires linker changes. I am updating darwin linker,  
but I do not have plan to update other linkers. I hope, this document  
helps other folks in updating gnu ld and other linkers.
-
Devang


> Does it work with the 3.x-frontend too?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Bram Adams
> GH-SEL, INTEC, Ghent University
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Chandler Carruth


On 8/14/06, Devang Patel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the latter case, what are the limitations/plans?

This approach requires linker changes. I am updating darwin linker,
but I do not have plan to update other linkers. I hope, this document
helps other folks in updating gnu ld and other linkers.

Unless someone else with more hands on experience is willing to, I am planning on working to port this to binutils before long. I've been waiting primarily for the work on the darwin linker to finish up, so that I can use that as a reference.

However, I am still quite new to LLVM, and if anyone has more experience or wants to help, it'd be great. =] Just trying to do what I can.

-Chandler



_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: link time optimization doc

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Chandler,

I too would like to see this in binutils. I don't know that code at all,
but I'll help you where I can.

Reid.

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 16:47 -0400, Chandler Carruth wrote:

>
>
> On 8/14/06, Devang Patel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         > In the latter case, what are the limitations/plans?
>        
>         This approach requires linker changes. I am updating darwin
>         linker,
>         but I do not have plan to update other linkers. I hope, this
>         document
>         helps other folks in updating gnu ld and other linkers.
>
> Unless someone else with more hands on experience is willing to, I am
> planning on working to port this to binutils before long. I've been
> waiting primarily for the work on the darwin linker to finish up, so
> that I can use that as a reference.
>
> However, I am still quite new to LLVM, and if anyone has more
> experience or wants to help, it'd be great. =] Just trying to do what
> I can.
>
> -Chandler
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev