how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

Dueky

Dear LLVM-DEV
Hello
I am Dueky.
I knew about llvm 3 months ago, and I have studied it..
I read Document for llvm in llvm.org, and I have tried compile to source file about llvm and llvm-gcc.
But I could not make a success of compile to the "mingw-llvm-gcc in windows".
I saw binary file "mingw-llvm-gcc for windows" , but I couldn't find the "how to compile to the mingw-llvm-gcc in

windows".
so I tried that found  the "how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows" in mailing list but I don't  understand.
please, let me know that "how to compile to the mingw-llvm-gcc".
I would like you to find your advice as soon as posible.
Best regard.
-dueky

Re: how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

Anton Korobeynikov
Hello, Dueky

> But I could not make a success of compile to the "mingw-llvm-gcc in
> windows".
> I saw binary file "mingw-llvm-gcc for windows" , but I couldn't find
> the "how to compile to the mingw-llvm-gcc in windows".
In general, compilation of llvm-gcc for mingw is the same as compilation
of llvm-gcc for any other platform. However, there are bunch of small
glitches here and there due to some windows-specific stuff, etc.

I strongly don't recommend to build llvm-gcc by yourself - use
precompiled binary. Each mingw llvm-gcc version I'm building for the
release goes through some tests ensuring, that everything is ok with it.

However, I'm happy to answer any specific questions about mingw llvm-gcc
compilation. I tried several times "to compile" all available small bits
in some more or less full documentation, but it seems, it cannot cover
even small amount of problems which can be usually seen during such
compilation.

PS: Another variant can be cross-compilation from linux box.
--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.

Re: how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

Ted Neward
Anton--

I had some problems just getting a binary of mingw to run on my Windows box,
so perhaps, if you're willing, a step-by-step "download this, install it
here, download this other, install it here, download this optional piece if
you want X and install it here, now compile hello.cc and look at what you've
got" kind of installation guide would be helpful. (I got lost between a
couple of the referenced links off of the llvmdev page, and couldn't ever
quite figure out what I needed and in what order. I think I got what I
needed, but....)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:00 PM

Re: how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

shjk
Hi,

such a guide would indeed be useful. From the mingw/msys website it is
not trivial to choose the appropriate version of them - the download
page is a bit confusing and triggered the oh-my-god-which-version-to-
choose mode for me ;)

Thus some simple instructions (choose version X etc.) would definitely
make building on windows without MSVC much more painless. (And it
would also help to include llvm-config in the binary package)

Jan R

Re: how to compile mingw-llvm-gcc in windows

Dueky

Hello, llvm-dev.
thank you for your interest in my question.
Currently, I compiled simple c source code (hello.c) in lunux and windows, and I tried to simple test .
 first case: hello.bc (compiled with "-emit-llvm" on windows)  -> lli.exe(linux).
 second case: hello.bc (compiled with "-emit-llvm" on linux)    -> lli.exe(windows).
second case return good result.
but First case return error.
I  want to modify and compile mingw-llvm-gcc by myself for such reasons.
Also I read several sentence about "how to cross-compilation form linux", and  Try it.
However, I could not succeed.
please, I would like to let me know "how to compile to the mingw-llvm-gcc" or further informations.
best regard.