generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Bendersky, Eli

Hello,

According to the documentation here - http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata !llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change? We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.

Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

Thanks in advance,

Eli

Intel Israel (74) Limited

Re: generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Devang Patel
<base href="x-msg://186/">
On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.
Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.
-
Devang

Re: generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Bendersky, Eli
<base href="x-msg://186/">

Thanks. Note that there are still a few references to this MDNode scattered throughout the code-base, so if it’s no longer being generated, there may be some bugs lurking there.

Eli

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.

Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.

-

Devang

Intel Israel (74) Limited

Re: generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Eric Christopher-2
<base href="x-msg://186/">Thanks. I'll get them. :)

-eric

On Feb 13, 2012, at 1:41 AM, Bendersky, Eli wrote:

Thanks. Note that there are still a few references to this MDNode scattered throughout the code-base, so if it’s no longer being generated, there may be some bugs lurking there.

Eli

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.
Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.
-
Devang

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.
Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.
-
Devang

Re: generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Bendersky, Eli
<base href="x-msg://186/">

Eric, Devang,

FYI exactly the same applies for llvm.dbg.gv – it’s also still listed in the docs and in various places throughout the code, although no longer generated.

Eli

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.

Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.

-

Devang

Intel Israel (74) Limited

Re: generating !llvm.dbg.sp

Bendersky, Eli
<base href="x-msg://186/">

I’ve opened PR 12050 to track the problem with llvm.dbg.gv

Eli

FYI exactly the same applies for llvm.dbg.gv – it’s also still listed in the docs and in various places throughout the code, although no longer generated.

Eli

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:17 AM, "Bendersky, Eli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

According to the documentation here -http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html:

>>    All subprogram descriptors are collected by a named metadata!llvm.dbg.sp.

LLVM seems to have lost the ability to generate this metadata node in r126871, when DIFactory was removed.

Is this an intended change?

Yes, I'll update the doc.

We were relying in the existence of this node, and things broke once we switched from LLVM 2.8 to 3.0.

Is there an alternative location where all the subprogram debug descriptors (DW_TAG_subprogram) can be obtained?

You can use DebugInfoFinder from DebugInfo.h. It provides an iterator to walk over all subprograms.

-

Devang

Intel Israel (74) Limited

Intel Israel (74) Limited