doxygen redux

mike-m
Hi, I'm working on a patch to overhaul docs+doxygen builds for both llvm and clang source trees.

Here's a sample of what it looks like for class clang::driver::Action (sorry, llvm API docs are a bigger set so only clang has been posted at this free webhost). Basically the output is a bump to latest doxygen plus custom css; the wins (IMHO) are the new style doesn't waste so much vertical page space, and uses slightly smaller fonts for both diagrams and html.

NEW: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
OLD: http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html

class with more inheritance: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1Decl.html
class with a rather large collaboration diagram: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1ASTContext.html

I'm not sure how the project/community feels about collab-diagrams. I find them exceedingly large and rarely useful. There are a couple of options if changes in that area are desired: (1) disable collab-diagrams. (2) make both class-inheritance and collab-diagrams hidden under a javascript-knob which users can click to expand each diagram.

Comments and suggestions are solicited!

(patches for this are being tracked with pr6613).

--mike-m

Re: doxygen redux

Chris Lattner-2

On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:54 AM, mike-m wrote:

> Hi, I'm working on a patch to overhaul docs+doxygen builds for both llvm and clang source trees.
>
> Here's a sample of what it looks like for class clang::driver::Action (sorry, llvm API docs are a bigger set so only clang has been posted at this free webhost). Basically the output is a bump to latest doxygen plus custom css; the wins (IMHO) are the new style doesn't waste so much vertical page space, and uses slightly smaller fonts for both diagrams and html.
>
> NEW: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
> OLD: http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
>
> class with more inheritance: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1Decl.html
> class with a rather large collaboration diagram: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1ASTContext.html
>
> I'm not sure how the project/community feels about collab-diagrams. I find them exceedingly large and rarely useful. There are a couple of options if changes in that area are desired: (1) disable collab-diagrams. (2) make both class-inheritance and collab-diagrams hidden under a javascript-knob which users can click to expand each diagram.

I think this looks *much* nicer, and I also agree that the collab diagram is useless.  I'd be in favor of #1, but I do find the inheritance diagram to be useful.  We'll need to upgrade doxygen on the server to install this, but I think it would be a great improvement!

Re: doxygen redux

Tanya Lattner-2

On Apr 30, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:54 AM, mike-m wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm working on a patch to overhaul docs+doxygen builds for both llvm and clang source trees.
>>
>> Here's a sample of what it looks like for class clang::driver::Action (sorry, llvm API docs are a bigger set so only clang has been posted at this free webhost). Basically the output is a bump to latest doxygen plus custom css; the wins (IMHO) are the new style doesn't waste so much vertical page space, and uses slightly smaller fonts for both diagrams and html.
>>
>> NEW: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
>> OLD: http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
>>
>> class with more inheritance: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1Decl.html
>> class with a rather large collaboration diagram: http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1ASTContext.html
>>
>> I'm not sure how the project/community feels about collab-diagrams. I find them exceedingly large and rarely useful. There are a couple of options if changes in that area are desired: (1) disable collab-diagrams. (2) make both class-inheritance and collab-diagrams hidden under a javascript-knob which users can click to expand each diagram.
>
> I think this looks *much* nicer, and I also agree that the collab diagram is useless.  I'd be in favor of #1, but I do find the inheritance diagram to be useful.  We'll need to upgrade doxygen on the server to install this, but I think it would be a great improvement!

Yes, I think the inheritance diagram should stay. But it looks great!

-Tanya

Re: doxygen redux

Samuel Crow
Hello everybody,

I agree not only that it looks nicer but it is much more readable in the parts where there is a background block since it separates the blocks from one another.

--Sam

On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:54 AM, mike-m wrote:

> Hi, I'm working on a
> patch to overhaul docs+doxygen builds for both llvm and clang source
> trees.
>
> Here's a sample of what it looks like for class
> clang::driver::Action (sorry, llvm API docs are a bigger set so only clang has
> been posted at this free webhost). Basically the output is a bump to latest
> doxygen plus custom css; the wins (IMHO) are the new style doesn't waste so much
> vertical page space, and uses slightly smaller fonts for both diagrams and
> html.
>
> NEW:
> http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
> OLD:
> http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/classclang_1_1driver_1_1Action.html
>

> class with more inheritance:
> http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1Decl.html
> class with a
> rather large collaboration diagram:
> http://kona.zzl.org/clang/api/classclang_1_1ASTContext.html
>
> I'm
> not sure how the project/community feels about collab-diagrams. I find them
> exceedingly large and rarely useful. There are a couple of options if changes in
> that area are desired: (1) disable collab-diagrams. (2) make both
> class-inheritance and collab-diagrams hidden under a javascript-knob which users
> can click to expand each diagram.

I think this looks *much* nicer, and I
> also agree that the collab diagram is useless.  I'd be in favor of #1, but
> I do find the inheritance diagram to be useful.  We'll need to upgrade
> doxygen on the server to install this, but I think it would be a great
> improvement!

Re: doxygen redux

Trevor Harmon-3
On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:54 AM, mike-m wrote:

> I'm not sure how the project/community feels about collab-diagrams.
> I find them exceedingly large and rarely useful. There are a couple
> of options if changes in that area are desired: (1) disable collab-
> diagrams. (2) make both class-inheritance and collab-diagrams hidden
> under a javascript-knob which users can click to expand each diagram.

May I suggest (3) move them to the bottom of the page.

Trevor

Re: doxygen redux

Renato Golin-4
On 30 April 2010 21:37, Trevor Harmon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> May I suggest (3) move them to the bottom of the page.

Hum, I quite like them at the top. Though the collab graph is not the
most useful, we could let them closed by default but still keep it,
just in case.

cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at

Re: doxygen redux

Anton Lokhmotov
> Hi, I'm working on a patch to overhaul docs+doxygen builds for both
> llvm and clang source trees.

A-a-ah, this is something I've been longing for!  The current style is
barely readable, so I always end up looking in the sources.

Keep up the good work!
Anton/L.

Re: doxygen redux

John Mosby
Excellent work, this greatly improves the clarity of the generated docs.

I would love it if the inheritance diagrams were kept as they are and
the collaboration diagrams were hidden under a knob.

Thanks,
John

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM, mike-m <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately Doxygen (latest vers) doesn't have per-diagram javascript-knob options.

--mike-m