datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Andrew Purtell
I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile, perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.

>>>
cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get(llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode < NumOpcodes' failed.
/usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
/usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler error: Aborted
<<<

This occurs only when building for Release. (Maybe I shouldn't do that with fresh CVS and SVN checkouts? :-) I'd build Debug, but I prefer sub-several-minute link times). If I switch the system compiler to GCC 3.4.6, this failure goes away. I'm not sure how to interpret that, in light of the many many changes between those two compiler versions, and the history of GCC 4.x codegen bugs.


Whenever I rebuild LLVM/LLVM-GCC4, I first clean all installed traces from the machine, so there isn't a question of old binaries or old libraries perhaps being pulled into the new build.

I have an older source tree from a few weeks back where this is most definitely not a problem. I regret that I cannot be more precise about what commit produced the breakage (for me).

In closing, please allow me to congratulate all of you for all of your hard work. LLVM is very impressive and useful.


Andrew Purtell
SPARTA, Inc.
[hidden email]

Opinions and communications made via this account should not be construed to be either the opinion of or an official communication from SPARTA, Inc.







_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Rafael Espíndola
> This occurs only when building for Release. (Maybe I shouldn't do that with fresh CVS and SVN checkouts? :-) I'd build Debug, but I prefer sub-several-minute link times).

Maybe you have hit a binutils bug:
http://sources.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1543

Best Regards,
Rafael
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Warren Armstrong
In reply to this post by Andrew Purtell
Andrew Purtell wrote:
> I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile, perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.
>
>  
> cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get(llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode < NumOpcodes' failed.
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler error: Aborted
> <<<
>  

Hi Andrew,

I too ran into this bug, which can be sidestepped by building LLVM with
optimisation
at the -O2 level (rather than the default -O3).  My make command was:
make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 OPTIMIZE_OPTION='-O2 -g' tools-only

I was trying to track down the cause of the bug, but haven't had success
yet.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Warren
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Reid Spencer-2
Gentlemen,

>From the GettingStarted.html guide:

GCC 4.1.1: GCC fails to build LLVM with template concept check errors
compiling some files. At the time of this writing, GCC mainline (4.2)
did not share the problem.

I continue to use 3.4.6 because of 4.1.X failures and because it is
*very* slow to compile LLVM. Its not clear that 4.2 will fix the slow
compilation problems (lots of related GCC bugs still not fixed).

Reid.

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:32 +1100, Warren Armstrong wrote:

> Andrew Purtell wrote:
> > I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile, perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.
> >
> >  
> > cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get(llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode < NumOpcodes' failed.
> > /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
> > /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler error: Aborted
> > <<<
> >  
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I too ran into this bug, which can be sidestepped by building LLVM with
> optimisation
> at the -O2 level (rather than the default -O3).  My make command was:
> make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 OPTIMIZE_OPTION='-O2 -g' tools-only
>
> I was trying to track down the cause of the bug, but haven't had success
> yet.
>
> Hope this is useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Warren
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Evan Cheng-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Purtell
This looks suspiciously like a bug I had introduced recently. It  
should have been fixed.

Please try TOT llvm. If the problem persists, file a bug report and  
attach a reproducible test case (using llvm-gcc -c -emit-llvm to  
create a bytecode file). I'll take a look at it.

Evan
On Nov 9, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

> I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile,  
> perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases  
> building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last  
> week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.
>
>>>>
> cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:
> 151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get
> (llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode <  
> NumOpcodes' failed.
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
> /usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler  
> error: Aborted
> <<<
>
> This occurs only when building for Release. (Maybe I shouldn't do  
> that with fresh CVS and SVN checkouts? :-) I'd build Debug, but I  
> prefer sub-several-minute link times). If I switch the system  
> compiler to GCC 3.4.6, this failure goes away. I'm not sure how to  
> interpret that, in light of the many many changes between those two  
> compiler versions, and the history of GCC 4.x codegen bugs.
>
>
> Whenever I rebuild LLVM/LLVM-GCC4, I first clean all installed  
> traces from the machine, so there isn't a question of old binaries  
> or old libraries perhaps being pulled into the new build.
>
> I have an older source tree from a few weeks back where this is  
> most definitely not a problem. I regret that I cannot be more  
> precise about what commit produced the breakage (for me).
>
> In closing, please allow me to congratulate all of you for all of  
> your hard work. LLVM is very impressive and useful.
>
>
> Andrew Purtell
> SPARTA, Inc.
> [hidden email]
>
> Opinions and communications made via this account should not be  
> construed to be either the opinion of or an official communication  
> from SPARTA, Inc.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev