compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Ryan M. Lefever
I have an ibook G4 (powerpc) running OS X panther.  I am using gcc 4.0.3
installed from Darwin Ports to compile llvm.  When I try to compile
llvm, I get the following error:

llvm[1]: Compiling Program.cpp for Debug build
Unix/Program.inc: In function 'void llvm::SetMemoryLimits(unsigned int)':
Unix/Program.inc:127: error: 'RLIMIT_AS' was not declared in this scope

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Regards,
Ryan

Re: compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
> I have an ibook G4 (powerpc) running OS X panther.  I am using gcc 4.0.3
> installed from Darwin Ports to compile llvm.  When I try to compile
> llvm, I get the following error:
>
> llvm[1]: Compiling Program.cpp for Debug build
> Unix/Program.inc: In function 'void llvm::SetMemoryLimits(unsigned int)':
> Unix/Program.inc:127: error: 'RLIMIT_AS' was not declared in this scope

I don't know much about darwin ports.  I assume it's an FSF version of
GCC?  If so, I strongly recommend against using it.  FSF GCC has a number
of minor ABI differences with Apple GCC.  I'd strongly suggest getting and
installing Xcode 2.4, it is free and well supported.

Re: compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Scott Michel-2
On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
>> I have an ibook G4 (powerpc) running OS X panther.  I am using gcc
>> 4.0.3
>> installed from Darwin Ports to compile llvm.  When I try to compile
>> llvm, I get the following error:
>>
>> llvm[1]: Compiling Program.cpp for Debug build
>> Unix/Program.inc: In function 'void llvm::SetMemoryLimits(unsigned
>> int)':
>> Unix/Program.inc:127: error: 'RLIMIT_AS' was not declared in this
>> scope
>
> I don't know much about darwin ports.  I assume it's an FSF version of
> GCC?  If so, I strongly recommend against using it.  FSF GCC has a
> number
> of minor ABI differences with Apple GCC.  I'd strongly suggest
> getting and
> installing Xcode 2.4, it is free and well supported.

MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) is a software installation/maint
infrastructure. It uses whatever compiler "gcc" happens to be.
Generally, this'll be the same as the XCode gcc, unless for some
reason the user has installed one of the other/newer gcc versions
available from the port collection.

This doesn't help with the user's original problem, but the
likelihood that it's not Apple's gcc is small.

-scooter

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Scott Michel wrote:
> This doesn't help with the user's original problem, but the
> likelihood that it's not Apple's gcc is small.

AFAIK, Apple doesn't have a 4.0.3 compiler.

Re: compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Ryan M. Lefever
The reason I didn't use Xcode 2.4 is because I'm running OS X 10.3.9
(Panther).  I have not upgraded the OS to 10.4.  Xcode 2.4 requires OS X
10.4, according to Apple's website.  Do you know otherwise?  I think the
highest Xcode I can get is 1.5.

By the way what does FSF mean?

I also tried compiling llvm with the gcc 3.3 that comes with OS X 10.3,
and it gave the exact same error when compiling Program.cpp.

--
Ryan M. Lefever  [http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~lefever]

Re: compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
> The reason I didn't use Xcode 2.4 is because I'm running OS X 10.3.9
> (Panther).  I have not upgraded the OS to 10.4.  Xcode 2.4 requires OS X
> 10.4, according to Apple's website.  Do you know otherwise?  I think the
> highest Xcode I can get is 1.5.

Okay, good point.

> By the way what does FSF mean?

An official gnu compiler.

> I also tried compiling llvm with the gcc 3.3 that comes with OS X 10.3,
> and it gave the exact same error when compiling Program.cpp.

Okay, I don't know. :)

-Chris

> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
>>
>>> I have an ibook G4 (powerpc) running OS X panther.  I am using gcc 4.0.3
>>> installed from Darwin Ports to compile llvm.  When I try to compile
>>> llvm, I get the following error:
>>>
>>> llvm[1]: Compiling Program.cpp for Debug build
>>> Unix/Program.inc: In function 'void llvm::SetMemoryLimits(unsigned int)':
>>> Unix/Program.inc:127: error: 'RLIMIT_AS' was not declared in this scope
>>

>> I don't know much about darwin ports.  I assume it's an FSF version of
>> GCC?  If so, I strongly recommend against using it.  FSF GCC has a number
>> of minor ABI differences with Apple GCC.  I'd strongly suggest getting and
>> installing Xcode 2.4, it is free and well supported.
>>
>> -Chris

Re: compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Jeff Cohen
Chris Lattner wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:

By the way what does FSF mean?

An official gnu compiler.

To be more complete, FSF stands for Free Software Foundation, the organization founded by Richard Stallman and which owns and maintains GCC.