bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Jan Killius
Hello,
if I compile with dragonegg and -march=native I get this message:
'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)
Is there any plan to support this cpu ?

Here the full example the source file doesn't matter.

gcc -s -static -Wall -O2 -march=native -fplugin=dragonegg.so
-fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns    pointer.c   -o pointer
'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Duncan Sands
Hi Jan,

> if I compile with dragonegg and -march=native I get this message:
> 'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)

this is coming directly from LLVM which doesn't know about bulldozer yet.

> Is there any plan to support this cpu ?

I don't know.  Hopefully someone who knows something about this will comment.

Ciao, Duncan.

> Here the full example the source file doesn't matter.
>
> gcc -s -static -Wall -O2 -march=native -fplugin=dragonegg.so
> -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns    pointer.c   -o pointer
> 'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Benjamin Kramer-2

On 30.11.2011, at 08:33, Duncan Sands wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
>> if I compile with dragonegg and -march=native I get this message:
>> 'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)
>
> this is coming directly from LLVM which doesn't know about bulldozer yet.
>
>> Is there any plan to support this cpu ?
>
> I don't know.  Hopefully someone who knows something about this will comment.

I added a basic description for bdver1 and bdver2 in r145493.
LLVM doesn't know many of bulldozer's new instructions though.

- Ben

> Ciao, Duncan.
>

>> Here the full example the source file doesn't matter.
>>
>> gcc -s -static -Wall -O2 -march=native -fplugin=dragonegg.so
>> -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns    pointer.c   -o pointer
>> 'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Duncan Sands
> I added a basic description for bdver1 and bdver2 in r145493.
> LLVM doesn't know many of bulldozer's new instructions though.

Thanks Ben!

Ciao, Duncan.

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

greened
Duncan Sands <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Is there any plan to support this cpu ?
>
> I don't know.  Hopefully someone who knows something about this will comment.

We have some bulldozer tunings we'll push back as soon as we can get
upgraded to 3.0.  Might be a few months, though.  In the meantime,
simply adding the target wouldn't be very difficult.

                          -Dave

Benjamin Kramer <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 30.11.2011, at 08:33, Duncan Sands wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>>> if I compile with dragonegg and -march=native I get this message:
>>> 'bdver1' is not a recognized processor for this target (ignoring processor)
>>
>> this is coming directly from LLVM which doesn't know about bulldozer yet.
>>
>>> Is there any plan to support this cpu ?
>>
>> I don't know.  Hopefully someone who knows something about this will comment.
>
> I added a basic description for bdver1 and bdver2 in r145493.
> LLVM doesn't know many of bulldozer's new instructions though.

We have implementations for XOP.  Again, I'll be pushing it back as soon
as we get 3.0 merged.  That will take a bit of effort as we have to
resolve various AVX conflicts.

                               -Dave

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Jan Sjodin
Better be quick! I am adding FMA4 and XOP now, and if you contribute code before I do, you can spare yourself some XOP merging.

- Jan

Jan Sjodin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Better be quick! I am adding FMA4 and XOP now, and if you contribute
> code before I do, you can spare yourself some XOP merging.

Go ahead.  We're not going to get there soon enough.  :(

                             -Dave

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

Jan Sjodin
That is too bad. :(  You can always review the patches, and if you see something that can be done better let me know.

- Jan

>>  Better be quick! I am adding FMA4 and XOP now, and if you contribute
>>  code before I do, you can spare yourself some XOP merging.
>
> Go ahead.  We're not going to get there soon enough.  :(
>
>                              -Dave

Re: bdver1 cpu(bulldozer) support with dragonegg

greened
Jan Sjodin <[hidden email]> writes:

> That is too bad. :(  You can always review the patches, and if you see something that can be done better let me know.

I don't think there will be.  We just did basic intrinsic stuff, no
fancy patterns.

                             -Dave