Quantcast

Xcode 4 autocomplete of LLVM includes

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley
Slightly off-topic, but I imagine this crowd must have some experience
using Xcode 4 for projects linking to LLVM. I've actually started
using Xcode 4 as an IDE for C/C++ development thanks to the vastly
improved code analysis-based tools it's inherited largely thanks to
LLVM. But, ironically, I am particularly struggling to get the tools
to parse and analyze LLVM (as a client, not for direct development in
the LLVM tree).

My current setup is extremely vanilla:

- LLVM 2.8 is installed (by Homebrew) in /usr/local/[lib,include]
- Header Search Paths for the target is set to /usr/local/include
- The LLVM headers are included as <llvm/*.h>
- The libs relevant to the project are added as library deps in the
"Link Binary With Libraries" Build Phase

Compilation (with Xcode's llvm-gcc 4.2) works, but the tools seemingly
don't parse the LLVM includes for analysis, so:

- autocomplete on LLVM types returns "no completions"
- cmd-clicking on the LLVM #include lines (e.g. #include
<llvm/Module.h>) does nothing, seemingly indicating that the parser
cannot find them to open them

Any ideas? Have others had more luck?

Thanks.

Re: Xcode 4 autocomplete of LLVM includes

Peter Sels
Jonathan Ragan-Kelley <katokop1 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Slightly off-topic, but I imagine this crowd must have some experience
> using Xcode 4 for projects linking to LLVM. I've actually started
> using Xcode 4 as an IDE for C/C++ development thanks to the vastly
> improved code analysis-based tools it's inherited largely thanks to
> LLVM. But, ironically, I am particularly struggling to get the tools
> to parse and analyze LLVM (as a client, not for direct development in
> the LLVM tree).

I read somewhere that XCode does not support code analysis for C++,
only for Objective C and C. Cannot find that link anymore.
But is this true/false?

I used code analysis in XCode 3 and that worked nicely for Objective C indeed.
(NEver tried C++ back there.)
Whatever I try in XCode 4, C++ analysis just says, ok without reporting any
problems. (Even if I add a simple problem like int * p; *p =42;
 it surely should detect)

Apart from that, if I opt for LLDB instead of GDB, this goes
well, apart for a check for a call to a license manager I need to call.
It then claims that the license is taken and stops.
With GDB I have no such problem.

All is for XCode 4.0.2, build 4A2002a.

greetz,

Peter

Re: Xcode 4 autocomplete of LLVM includes

Ted Kremenek-2

On Apr 17, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Pete wrote:

> Jonathan Ragan-Kelley <katokop1 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Slightly off-topic, but I imagine this crowd must have some experience
>> using Xcode 4 for projects linking to LLVM. I've actually started
>> using Xcode 4 as an IDE for C/C++ development thanks to the vastly
>> improved code analysis-based tools it's inherited largely thanks to
>> LLVM. But, ironically, I am particularly struggling to get the tools
>> to parse and analyze LLVM (as a client, not for direct development in
>> the LLVM tree).
>
> I read somewhere that XCode does not support code analysis for C++,
> only for Objective C and C. Cannot find that link anymore.
> But is this true/false?

I think the word "analysis" may be conflated here.

Static analysis (for bug-finding) for C++ is currently not supported in Xcode.  The build system will literally not invoke the static analyzer for C++/Objective-C++ files.

C++ code completion powered by Clang is supported in Xcode 4.  That's an unrelated feature.