Tablegen problem in LLVM 1.8

Bram Adams
Hi,

Today I downloaded LLVM 1.8 (until yesterday I used 1.7) and I tried to
build it (Slackware 10.2 with default GCC 3.3.6). However, the build
process fails each time it reaches lib/Target/XXX/XXXISelDAGToDAG.cpp
for all backends (XXX=X86, ARM, ...), e.g. like:

/.../llvm-build/lib/Target/ARM/ARMGenDAGISel.inc:145: error: syntax
   error before `{' token
... [lots of other errors generated by the previous one]

/.../llvm-build/lib/Target/ARM/ARMGenDAGISel.inc:191: error: syntax
   error before `{' token
... [lots of other errors generated by the previous one]

 The NOINLINE-macro after each method's argument list and right before
the "{" in the various lib/Target/XXX/XXXGenDAGISel.inc-files seems to
be the culprit, e.g. in llvm-build/lib/Target/ARM/ARMGenDAGISel.inc
(line 145):

void Emit_0(SDOperand &Result, SDOperand &N, unsigned Opc0, SDOperand
&Chain, SDOperand &N1, bool HasInFlag) NOINLINE {

If I remove all NOINLINE appearances, everything compiles although I get
47 unexpected failures upon lib/test-ing (test results in attachment). I
didn't have these compilation problems with 1.7, although I remember
LLVM had unexpected failures back then too.

Did anyone experience similar problems?

Kind regards,

Bram Adams
GH-SEL, INTEC, Ghent University (Belgium)

testresults.tar.bz2 (27K) Download Attachment

Re: Tablegen problem in LLVM 1.8

Gordon Henriksen-3
On Aug 9, 2006, at 06:17, Bram Adams wrote:

> Today I downloaded LLVM 1.8 (until yesterday I used 1.7) and I
> tried to build it (Slackware 10.2 with default GCC 3.3.6). However,
> the build process fails each time it reaches lib/Target/XXX/
> XXXISelDAGToDAG.cpp for all backends (XXX=X86, ARM, ...)
>
> The NOINLINE-macro after each method's argument list and right
> before the "{" in the various lib/Target/XXX/XXXGenDAGISel.inc-
> files seems to be the culprit, e.g. in llvm-build/lib/Target/ARM/
> ARMGenDAGISel.inc (line 145):

Is this patch incorporated on the 1.8 branch?

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-
Mon-20060731/036455.html

g.

Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> Is this patch incorporated on the 1.8 branch?
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20060731/036455.html
This patch does work (tried it out), but for some reason I get one more
unexpected lib/test-failure in favor of an expected pass (see attachment).

Kind regards,

Bram Adams
GH-SEL, INTEC, Ghent University (Belgium)

testresults.tar.bz2 (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Tablegen problem in LLVM 1.8

Tanya Lattner-2

>>  Is this patch incorporated on the 1.8 branch?
>>
>>  http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20060731/036455.html
> This patch does work (tried it out), but for some reason I get one more
> unexpected lib/test-failure in favor of an expected pass (see attachment).

Thanks for finding this. I spoke with Chris and he felt it was an
important enough fix to include in the 1.8 release. I have uploaded a new
tar labeled llvm-1.8a.tar.gz to avoid confusion. The release branch in cvs
has also been updated.

-Tanya