Self hosting LLVM

Devang Patel
Hi All,

Now, as of yesterday evening, I am able to self host llvm in Release
mode on PowerPC and X86!

This means, llvm itself is compiled using llvm optimizer and code
generator (instead of GCC) and generated llvm passes all tests in llvm/
test directory.

-
Devang

Re: Self hosting LLVM

Tanya Lattner-2

> Now, as of yesterday evening, I am able to self host llvm in Release
> mode on PowerPC and X86!
>
> This means, llvm itself is compiled using llvm optimizer and code
> generator (instead of GCC) and generated llvm passes all tests in llvm/
> test directory.

That is awesome!!! Great job!

-Tanya

> -
> Devang

Re: Self hosting LLVM

Reid Spencer-2
Devang,

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 11:14 -0700, Devang Patel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Now, as of yesterday evening, I am able to self host llvm in Release
> mode on PowerPC and X86!
>
> This means, llvm itself is compiled using llvm optimizer and code
> generator (instead of GCC) and generated llvm passes all tests in llvm/
> test directory.

Great! That's wonderful news.

Now we just need a "bootstrap" target for the Makefiles :)

> -
> Devang

Re: Self hosting LLVM

Devang Patel

On Oct 20, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> Now we just need a "bootstrap" target for the Makefiles :)

Or some magic to use automatically 'llvm-gcc' as CC by default, if
llvm-gcc is available in the path. If not then as usual, use 'gcc' as
CC by default. (and same for CXX). I am not sure how to achieve this.

Since llvm-gcc FE resides in separate source repository, 'make
bootstrap' does not make sense unless both projects are checked out
properly.

BTW, GCC community is moving away from 'make bootstrap' for GCC
builds. GCC 4.2 build bootstraps by default unless it is disabled at
configuration time.

-
Devang