Retrieving local variable names.

Sanjiv Gupta
The code generator converts a local variable into FrameIndex. Is there anyway I can retrieve the symobl name of the local variable from FrameIndex?

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Re: Retrieving local variable names.

Evan Cheng-2
It's not currently available. LLVM would have to propagate debug
information through all codegen passes but it doesn't do that yet.

Evan

On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Sanjiv Gupta wrote:

> The code generator converts a local variable into FrameIndex. Is
> there anyway I can retrieve the symobl name of the local variable
> from FrameIndex?
>
> Thanks,
> Sanjiv

Re: Retrieving local variable names.

Alireza.Moshtaghi
Is this something that will happen in future? Or there is no plan for
it?

Thanks,
Ali

On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:33 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Is this something that will happen in future? Or there is no plan for
> it?

I am not aware of any plan to add this. I suspect this won't happen
until there is a major push to improve debugging support. If you are
interested in this area, feel free to contribute! :-)

Evan

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 [hidden email] wrote:
> Is this something that will happen in future? Or there is no plan for
> it?

Dan's work on MemoryOperands is a great step towards this.  It doesn't
associate a local variable with a frameindex per say, but each instruction
that accesses the FI will have an associated memoperand that tells you
(roughly) the llvm alloca that it corresponds to.  From that you could
jump up to debug info, etc.

-Chris

We certainly benefit from doing this, however,
1) I don't know where to start from.
2) At this time I think we can find other solutions for our problem, so
there is no justification for this effort; until we encounter another
problem :)

Thanks.