Real backend?

Seung Jae Lee
Hello, guys.
May I ask you something a little bit far from LLVM?
In fact, I am not sure what's difference between real backend and backend in LLVM.
Can you shed lights on me if you have any idea?

Thx,
SJL

Re: Real backend?

Tanya Lattner-2

> Hello, guys.
> May I ask you something a little bit far from LLVM?
> In fact, I am not sure what's difference between real backend and backend in LLVM.
> Can you shed lights on me if you have any idea?

Ok.. I'll ask. What do you mean by real backend?

The backend in LLVM is a compiler backend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler#Back_end

-Tanya

Re: Real backend?

Seung Jae Lee
Thanks for reply, Tanya.
Frankly speaking, I have no good idea.
While googling, I could find the term, "real backend", in the articles so wondered how this was different from just backend used in LLVM.
(E.g., Mr.Olofson mentioned "glSDL/backend (the
"real" backend version; not yet in mainstream SDL releases)" in this article
http://www.freelists.org/archives/gameprogrammer/04-2005/msg00010.html )
Do you have any idea?

Thank you so much.
SJL

>> May I ask you something a little bit far from LLVM?
>> In fact, I am not sure what's difference between real backend and backend in LLVM.
>> Can you shed lights on me if you have any idea?
>
>Ok.. I'll ask. What do you mean by real backend?
>
>The backend in LLVM is a compiler backend:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler#Back_end
>
>-Tanya

Re: Real backend?

Tanya Lattner-2

> Thanks for reply, Tanya.
> Frankly speaking, I have no good idea.
> While googling, I could find the term, "real backend", in the articles so wondered how this was different from just backend used in LLVM.
> (E.g., Mr.Olofson mentioned "glSDL/backend (the
> "real" backend version; not yet in mainstream SDL releases)" in this article
> http://www.freelists.org/archives/gameprogrammer/04-2005/msg00010.html )
> Do you have any idea?

I would ask the author what they meant by that. I really have no idea.

A backend is a backend if it meets the definition. I don't think there is
anyway for one to be real and one to be fake ;)

-Tanya