Re: Thread support: desirable or not?

Evan Jones-4
On May 14, 2005, at 13:28, Reid Spencer wrote:
>> This is definitely *not* something that should go in before 1.5 is
>> released, but I would love to see it integrated shortly after.
> Okay.

Now that 1.5 has been released, would it be possible to have some
discussion about if linking the JIT with a thread library is the
direction that should be taken? I don't see any alternative except
having separate "threaded" and "unthreaded" JITs, and requiring the
user to know when the different JITs should be used.

Thanks,

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones
http://evanjones.ca/

Re: Thread support: desirable or not?

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 18 May 2005, Evan Jones wrote:

> On May 14, 2005, at 13:28, Reid Spencer wrote:
>>> This is definitely *not* something that should go in before 1.5 is
>>> released, but I would love to see it integrated shortly after.
>> Okay.
>
> Now that 1.5 has been released, would it be possible to have some discussion
> about if linking the JIT with a thread library is the direction that should
> be taken? I don't see any alternative except having separate "threaded" and
> "unthreaded" JITs, and requiring the user to know when the different JITs
> should be used.

I think that this is fine.

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

On May 19, 2005, at 19:10, Chris Lattner wrote:
>> Now that 1.5 has been released, would it be possible to have some
>> discussion about if linking the JIT with a thread library is the
>> direction that should be taken? I don't see any alternative except
>> having separate "threaded" and "unthreaded" JITs, and requiring the
>> user to know when the different JITs should be used.
> I think that this is fine.

Does that mean option 1 or option 2 is fine:

1. Always link the JIT against a platform's thread library so it is
always thread-safe.
2. Build two JITs, one that is thread-safe, and another which is not.
Users must manually select the correct JIT.

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones
http://evanjones.ca/

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Evan Jones wrote:

> On May 19, 2005, at 19:10, Chris Lattner wrote:
>>> Now that 1.5 has been released, would it be possible to have some
>>> discussion about if linking the JIT with a thread library is the direction
>>> that should be taken? I don't see any alternative except having separate
>>> "threaded" and "unthreaded" JITs, and requiring the user to know when the
>>> different JITs should be used.
>> I think that this is fine.
>
> Does that mean option 1 or option 2 is fine:
>
> 1. Always link the JIT against a platform's thread library so it is always
> thread-safe.

I would prefer this option.  Ideally the thread model would be selectable
by the specific tool that links to the JIT (to support user-level thread
libraries and stuff), but that should be left to a later enhancement.

-Chris

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/