Problem with DragonEgg 3.3rc2 on Fedora 19 Beta

Problem with DragonEgg 3.3rc2 on Fedora 19 Beta

Eric Smith
I'm the package maintainer for DragonEgg for Fedora.  I've just tried to update the DragonEgg package for Fedora 19 beta, which uses gcc 4.8.0.

I had to modify the DragonEgg Makefile because llvm-config --libs is generating the names of the static libraries, while I need to link to the dynamic library (libLLVM-3.3.so).  I don't think this is the cause of my problem, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I have a very simple C program.  When I compile it with gcc (on Fedora 19 beta, x86_64), it works fine.  When I compile it with gcc -fplugin=dragonegg, I get an executable that doesn't seem to execute the printf inside the loop.

The C program, executables from gcc and gcc -fplugin=dragonegg, and disassemblies of the .o files can be found here:
        http://fedorapeople.org/~brouhaha/dragonegg/

If anyone would care to take a look at this, I can provide account credentials to ssh into the system I'm using.

Thanks!
Eric

Re: Problem with DragonEgg 3.3rc2 on Fedora 19 Beta

Duncan Sands
Hi Eric,

On 03/06/13 08:50, Eric Smith wrote:

> I'm the package maintainer for DragonEgg for Fedora.  I've just tried to update
> the DragonEgg package for Fedora 19 beta, which uses gcc 4.8.0.
>
> I had to modify the DragonEgg Makefile because llvm-config --libs is generating
> the names of the static libraries, while I need to link to the dynamic library
> (libLLVM-3.3.so <http://libLLVM-3.3.so>).  I don't think this is the cause of my
> problem, but I suppose I could be wrong.
>
> Anyhow, I have a very simple C program.  When I compile it with gcc (on Fedora
> 19 beta, x86_64), it works fine.  When I compile it with gcc -fplugin=dragonegg,
> I get an executable that doesn't seem to execute the printf inside the loop.

what version of gcc are you loading the plugin into?

Ciao, Duncan.

> The C program, executables from gcc and gcc -fplugin=dragonegg, and
> disassemblies of the .o files can be found here:
> http://fedorapeople.org/~brouhaha/dragonegg/
> <http://fedorapeople.org/%7Ebrouhaha/dragonegg/>
>
> If anyone would care to take a look at this, I can provide account credentials
> to ssh into the system I'm using.
>
> Thanks!
> Eric

Re: Problem with DragonEgg 3.3rc2 on Fedora 19 Beta

Duncan Sands
Hi Eric,

On 03/06/13 08:50, Eric Smith wrote:
> I'm the package maintainer for DragonEgg for Fedora.  I've just tried to update
> the DragonEgg package for Fedora 19 beta, which uses gcc 4.8.0.
>
> I had to modify the DragonEgg Makefile because llvm-config --libs is generating
> the names of the static libraries, while I need to link to the dynamic library
> (libLLVM-3.3.so <http://libLLVM-3.3.so>).  I don't think this is the cause of my
> problem, but I suppose I could be wrong.
>
> Anyhow, I have a very simple C program.

your program has a mistake in it, you should initialize i with i=0 not with i=i
here:

   for (i = i; i <= 30; i++)

Ciao, Duncan.

On Monday, June 3, 2013, Duncan Sands wrote:
your program has a mistake in it, you should initialize i with i=0 not with i=i

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't spot that myself. sorry for wasting your time!

On 03/06/13 15:18, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Monday, June 3, 2013, Duncan Sands wrote:
>
>     your program has a mistake in it, you should initialize i with i=0 not with i=i
>
> Thanks! I can't believe I didn't spot that myself. sorry for wasting your time!

it's the kind of thing brains auto-correct: you could look at it a thousand
times, but your brain will helpfully read i=0 instead of i=i each time!

Ciao, Duncan.