Passing arguments to opt via clang

Harel Cain
Hi all,

In the good old llvmc, the -Wo flag could be used to pass arguments to the optimizer. Is there a similar mechanism anywhere for clang? Is there also a similar mechanism to -Wllc?

Thanks!

Harel Cain

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

Anton Korobeynikov-2
> In the good old llvmc, the -Wo flag could be used to pass arguments to the
> optimizer. Is there a similar mechanism anywhere for clang? Is there also a
> similar mechanism to -Wllc?
-mlvm will handle all of them

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

Harel Cain
Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I see no such flag in clang 2.9 nor couldn't I find any mention of it. What does it do?

Harel Cain

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 15:03, Anton Korobeynikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the good old llvmc, the -Wo flag could be used to pass arguments to the
> optimizer. Is there a similar mechanism anywhere for clang? Is there also a
> similar mechanism to -Wllc?
-mlvm will handle all of them

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

Duncan Sands
On 04/03/12 14:32, Harel Cain wrote:
> Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I see no such flag in clang 2.9 nor
> couldn't I find any mention of it. What does it do?

I think he meant -mllvm not -mlvm.  The next thing that follows is passed to
LLVM, for example -mllvm -disable-llvm-optzns

Ciao, Duncan.

> Harel Cain
>

> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 15:03, Anton Korobeynikov <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>      > In the good old llvmc, the -Wo flag could be used to pass arguments to the
>      > optimizer. Is there a similar mechanism anywhere for clang? Is there also a
>      > similar mechanism to -Wllc?
>     -mlvm will handle all of them
>
>     --
>     With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
>     Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

Tobias Grosser-5
On 03/04/2012 02:32 PM, Harel Cain wrote:
> Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I see no such flag in clang 2.9
> nor couldn't I find any mention of it. What does it do?

It's called -mllvm.

You can use it like this.

clang -mllvm -vectorize ...

Cheers
Tobi

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

pmon mail
I have tried to invoke a transformation/optimization pass using -mllvm, without success. I might be missing something.

For example I have a shared/dynamic library which contains LLVM passes. I used to invoke them with llvmc like this:
>>llvmc mycode.c -o mycode.o -c -opt -Wo,=-load,libFoo.dylib,-Foo

Can this style of optimization be executed using -mllvm argument?

Thx,
PMon

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Tobias Grosser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/04/2012 02:32 PM, Harel Cain wrote:
> Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I see no such flag in clang 2.9
> nor couldn't I find any mention of it. What does it do?

It's called -mllvm.

You can use it like this.

clang -mllvm -vectorize ...

Cheers
Tobi

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

Anton Korobeynikov-2
Hello

> For example I have a shared/dynamic library which contains LLVM passes. I
> used to invoke them with llvmc like this:
>>>llvmc mycode.c -o mycode.o -c -opt -Wo,=-load,libFoo.dylib,-Foo
> Can this style of optimization be executed using -mllvm argument?
No. You cannot add additional passes this way, only pass 'ordinary' arguments.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: Passing arguments to opt via clang

khalil_sb
what is the solution to pass opt arguments , non ordinary  passes like : -std-link-opts by clang ?
Dose clang invoke opt in normal compilation procedure even?

On 27/06/13 13:38, khalil_sb wrote:
> what is the solution to pass opt arguments , non ordinary  passes like :
> *-std-link-opts* by clang ?
> Dose clang invoke opt in normal compilation procedure even?

No, clang doesn't invoke opt.  Instead both clang and opt use the same LLVM
infrastructure to schedule passes (opt is basically a thin wrapper around
this core functionality).

Ciao, Duncan.