Passes document

Talin-3
Reading the Passes.html document, I have many questions that are
unanswered by the doc. For each pass listed, I would like to know:

1) What other passes need to be run before this one in order for this
one to work?
2) What other passes should not be run before this one, but should
instead be run after? (In other words, what is the recommended order of
the passes.)
3) What is the C++ name of the pass? Sometimes the name in the doc
doesn't always match the name in the code.

On a related question: Is this the correct list to be posting these
kinds of questions? Specifically, I see that most of the traffic on this
list is about *developing* LLVM, whereas my interest is primarily in
*using* LLVM.

-- Talin

Re: Passes document

Holger Schurig-2
> 1) What other passes need to be run before this one in order
> for this one to work?

You need this info out of curiousity?  Because normally you don't
need to care, the PassManager does that for you.

If you need this info, you can deduce this from the source code.
For example, look for calls to getAnalysisUsage().

You find more about this in
http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html.

Re: Passes document

Tanya Lattner-2

> 1) What other passes need to be run before this one in order for this
> one to work?

This is not something you have to worry about on the command line. The
pass manager takes care of this for you.

> 2) What other passes should not be run before this one, but should
> instead be run after? (In other words, what is the recommended order of
> the passes.)

Use -std-compile-opts. Otherwise, this a tricky problem and depends on
what you are trying to achieve and what the program is. There is no one
solution for everything.

> 3) What is the C++ name of the pass? Sometimes the name in the doc
> doesn't always match the name in the code.

Check out opt --help. That will give you what you need.

> On a related question: Is this the correct list to be posting these
> kinds of questions? Specifically, I see that most of the traffic on this
> list is about *developing* LLVM, whereas my interest is primarily in
> *using* LLVM.

This mailing list is the correct one. We may someday have a separate users
list, but thats far off right now.

-Tanya