May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

12

May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Reid Spencer-2
All,

Here's an update on the Developer's Meeting. I've created a page for the
meeting on the main web site at http://llvm.org/DevMtgMay2007.html. If
you want to find out the latest, please visit that page. From here on
out, I will be tracking the meeting's progress on that page.  However,
I'll still send out one of these update notes when there are significant
developments.

First, the questions you all wanted answered:
   Yes, the date (May 25th), is firm.
   Yes, the location (Apple Computer, Cupertino, CA) is firm.
   Yes, you can make travel reservations now.

The first 12 people have confirmed their attendance. However, there were
about 25-30 of you that expressed a desire to attend in the poll last
year. If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
responding to this email. If you're not sure, please see
http://llvm.org/DevMtgMay2007.html#attendees to see if you're on the
list already. You need to confirm by May 1st so that we can ensure we
have a sufficiently large room reserved for the attendees.

Don't make me start calling you out by name!

We have three talks so far. Vikram Adve will discuss the history of
LLVM. Chris Lattner will talk about how Apple uses LLVM. Sarah Thomposon
will talk about how NASA, Ames is using LLVM for static analysis and
symbolic execution.

While that's a great start, it isn't enough to cover the whole day. (I
know Chris is long winded, but I don't think even he would enjoy talking
about Apple OpenGL and LLVM for 6 hours straight). We need more content
if we're going to do more than just chit chat all day.

Bottom line: we need your ideas and participation. Don't worry about the
posted Agenda, we can rearrange it to fit the things you want to talk
about. There are at least three categories of things you can propose:

1. A presentation/talk that you could give on anything related to LLVM.
2. A discussion topic that you would like to hear other people's
thoughts about.
3. An LLVM issue to resolve in Session 4.

Other ideas are welcome too.

Please do not hesitate. Just send your ideas in, however crazy they
might seem.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Reid.

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Nick Lewycky
Reid Spencer wrote:
If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> responding to this email.

I'll be there.

Furthermore, I'd like to present the Design and Implementation of the
PredicateSimplifier pass, or, "VRP in LLVM".

Nick Lewycky

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Reid Spencer-2
Hey Nick,

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 18:25 -0400, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> Reid Spencer wrote:
> If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> > responding to this email.
>
> I'll be there.

Great!

> Furthermore, I'd like to present the Design and Implementation of the
> PredicateSimplifier pass, or, "VRP in LLVM".

Thanks Nick. I'll add this right away.

Reid.

> Nick Lewycky

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Devang Patel
One useful topic would be :

        How to use bug point to identify wrong code gen bugs.
-
Devang

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Christopher Lamb
I will be attending.

I also suggest we have a session discussing concurrency primitives for multi-threaded shared memory models, though I don't claim to be any sort of expert myself. I've spent some time looking over the Java Memory Model revision and discussions and I think it would be worth discussing similar issues with regards to LLVM.

--
Christopher Lamb

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Owen Anderson-2
 Not just CodeGen!  Bugpoint is wonderful for misoptimizations too!  But I agree that a bugpoint tutorial would be a good topic for the "Learning LLVM" session.

--Owen

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Christopher Lamb wrote:
> I also suggest we have a session discussing concurrency primitives for
> multi-threaded shared memory models, though I don't claim to be any sort of
> expert myself. I've spent some time looking over the Java Memory Model
> revision and discussions and I think it would be worth discussing similar
> issues with regards to LLVM.

Sounds good.  Do you want to do a 5 minute "improving llvm" talk?  or do
you want to do a longer one?

On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Christopher Lamb wrote:
I also suggest we have a session discussing concurrency primitives for
multi-threaded shared memory models, though I don't claim to be any sort of
expert myself. I've spent some time looking over the Java Memory Model
revision and discussions and I think it would be worth discussing similar
issues with regards to LLVM.

Sounds good.  Do you want to do a 5 minute "improving llvm" talk?  or do
you want to do a longer one?

-Chris

The "improving llvm" talk and workgroups will be perfect.

--
Christopher Lamb

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Evan Cheng-2
I'll be there.

I'd like to talk about a topic that's near and dear to my hear: "How
to survive an attack by Oscar?".

:-)

Evan

On Mar 31, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:

> All,
>
> Here's an update on the Developer's Meeting. I've created a page
> for the
> meeting on the main web site at http://llvm.org/DevMtgMay2007.html. If
> you want to find out the latest, please visit that page. From here on
> out, I will be tracking the meeting's progress on that page.  However,
> I'll still send out one of these update notes when there are
> significant
> developments.
>
> First, the questions you all wanted answered:
>    Yes, the date (May 25th), is firm.
>    Yes, the location (Apple Computer, Cupertino, CA) is firm.
>    Yes, you can make travel reservations now.
>
> The first 12 people have confirmed their attendance. However, there
> were
> about 25-30 of you that expressed a desire to attend in the poll last
> year. If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> responding to this email. If you're not sure, please see
> http://llvm.org/DevMtgMay2007.html#attendees to see if you're on the
> list already. You need to confirm by May 1st so that we can ensure we
> have a sufficiently large room reserved for the attendees.
>
> Don't make me start calling you out by name!
>
> We have three talks so far. Vikram Adve will discuss the history of
> LLVM. Chris Lattner will talk about how Apple uses LLVM. Sarah
> Thomposon
> will talk about how NASA, Ames is using LLVM for static analysis and
> symbolic execution.
>
> While that's a great start, it isn't enough to cover the whole day. (I
> know Chris is long winded, but I don't think even he would enjoy
> talking
> about Apple OpenGL and LLVM for 6 hours straight). We need more
> content
> if we're going to do more than just chit chat all day.
>
> Bottom line: we need your ideas and participation. Don't worry
> about the
> posted Agenda, we can rearrange it to fit the things you want to talk
> about. There are at least three categories of things you can propose:
>
> 1. A presentation/talk that you could give on anything related to
> LLVM.
> 2. A discussion topic that you would like to hear other people's
> thoughts about.
> 3. An LLVM issue to resolve in Session 4.
>
> Other ideas are welcome too.
>
> Please do not hesitate. Just send your ideas in, however crazy they
> might seem.
>
> Looking forward to meeting you all!
>
> Reid.

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Andrew Lenharth
On 4/3/07, Evan Cheng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to talk about a topic that's near and dear to my hear: "How
> to survive an attack by Oscar?".

Don't you know?  You leave a sacraficial printout of a DAG for it to
look at every morning...

Andrew

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 09:19 -0700, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> I think Oscar should attend as well.

Good idea. I've added him to the "LLVM History" session. He really needs
to explain the origins of the whole "world domination" thing.

> Andrew Lenharth wrote:
> > On 4/3/07, Evan Cheng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to talk about a topic that's near and dear to my hear: "How
> > > to survive an attack by Oscar?".
> > >

> > Don't you know?  You leave a sacraficial printout of a DAG for it to
> > look at every morning...
> >
> > Andrew

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Dale Johannesen

On Mar 31, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:
> If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> responding to this email.

I will be there.

On 3/31/07, Reid Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't make me start calling you out by name!

I'll try to make it.

Andrew

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 16:04 -0700, Dale Johannesen wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> > responding to this email.
>
> I will be there.

Thanks, Dale. You've been added.

Reid.

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Fernando Magno Quintao Pereira

> Don't make me start calling you out by name!

I plan to go.

Fernando

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Gabe McArthur-2
Sounds very interesting; if possibly, I will also come.
-Gabe

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Gabe McArthur
I would also like to come.
-Gabe

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Julien Lerouge
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 03:11:44PM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
> responding to this email.

Hello,

I would like to attend too.

Thank you,
Julien

--
Julien Lerouge
PGP Key Id: 0xB1964A62

Re: May 25th 2007 Developers Meeting (Update)

Sarah Thompson-2

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 03:11:44PM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
>
>> If you haven't confirmed your attendance yet, please do so by
>> responding to this email.

Just to confirm, I do intend to come along. Are you still interested in
me giving a talk on NASA's work on using LLVM to support model checking,
symbolic execution and static analysis? If so, I'll block out some time
to prepare some slides. If not, I won't have to. :-)

Sarah
12