List Scheduling on LLVM Instructions

thean kiat sew
Hi All,

I am planning to use list scheduling on LLVM instructions.

Any recommendation on how to start ? As in which codes in LLVM that I need to look at.

Since I am still a newbie, any readings recommended? :)

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,
Kiat

Re: List Scheduling on LLVM Instructions

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, thean kiat sew wrote:
> I am planning to use list scheduling on LLVM instructions.
> Any recommendation on how to start ? As in which codes in LLVM that I need
> to look at.

We don't currently have a list scheduler in the target-independent code
generator, but we do have the infrastructure needed to implement one.
Check out the lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/ScheduleDAG.cpp file.

If you have questions about the file, Jim can help.

> Since I am still a newbie, any readings recommended? :)

There are several decent compiler books out there.  I believe the Muchnick
book (Advanced Compiler Design?) has a detailed section on scheduling.

Re: List Scheduling on LLVM Instructions

Tzu-Chien Chiu
Didn't SparcV9 backend implement list scheduling?

2005/12/16, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, thean kiat sew wrote:
> > I am planning to use list scheduling on LLVM instructions.
> > Any recommendation on how to start ? As in which codes in LLVM that I need
> > to look at.
>
> We don't currently have a list scheduler in the target-independent code
> generator, but we do have the infrastructure needed to implement one.
> Check out the lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/ScheduleDAG.cpp file.
>
> If you have questions about the file, Jim can help.
>
> > Since I am still a newbie, any readings recommended? :)
>
> There are several decent compiler books out there.  I believe the Muchnick
> book (Advanced Compiler Design?) has a detailed section on scheduling.
>
> -Chris
>
> --
> http://nondot.org/sabre/
> http://llvm.org/

Tzu-Chien Chiu - XGI Technology, Inc.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Tzu-Chien Chiu wrote:
> Didn't SparcV9 backend implement list scheduling?

Yes, but its scheduler cannot be used by the target-independent code
generators: the V9 backend uses a different representation of machine
instructions.

-Chris