LLVM and TLS

Lauro Ramos Venancio
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a toolchain for arm-linux-gnueabi using the
llvm-gcc. To do this, I made some changes in crosstool 0.42.

Everything goes fine until llvm-gcc tries to compile the glibc.
llvm-gcc can't compile glibc because it doesn't support TLS (Thread
Local Storage).

I know there is a bug report about TLS (PR941). Is there someone
implementing TLS in LLVM and llvm-gcc? If not, I will implement this.

Lauro

Re: LLVM and TLS

Anton Korobeynikov
Hello, Lauro.

> I know there is a bug report about TLS (PR941). Is there someone
> implementing TLS in LLVM and llvm-gcc? If not, I will implement this.
It's in my todo list. But I don't know, when I will have a chance to
start working. Adding TLS support seems to be tricky, since there are 4
different TLS "models" with different "assumptions".

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.

Re: LLVM and TLS

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Lauro Ramos Venancio wrote:
> Everything goes fine until llvm-gcc tries to compile the glibc.
> llvm-gcc can't compile glibc because it doesn't support TLS (Thread
> Local Storage).
>
> I know there is a bug report about TLS (PR941). Is there someone
> implementing TLS in LLVM and llvm-gcc? If not, I will implement this.

I don't believe anyone is working on TLS support.  It would be great if
you wanted to work on this!

Re: LLVM and TLS

Kenneth.Hoste

On 10 Apr 2007, at 19:08, Lauro Ramos Venancio wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to make a toolchain for arm-linux-gnueabi using the
> llvm-gcc. To do this, I made some changes in crosstool 0.42.
>
> Everything goes fine until llvm-gcc tries to compile the glibc.
> llvm-gcc can't compile glibc because it doesn't support TLS (Thread
> Local Storage).
>
> I know there is a bug report about TLS (PR941). Is there someone
> implementing TLS in LLVM and llvm-gcc? If not, I will implement this.

Cool. Will this make it possible to compile (parts of) glibc to LLVM
bytecode? Or am I msitaking?

> Lauro

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
[hidden email]
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste