LLVM Logo

12

LLVM Logo

Chris Lattner-2
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
page:
http://llvm.org/Logo.html

I personally think that this is a pretty great logo/mascot for LLVM,
because it is very abstract, can be adapted in a variety of ways, is
alpha channeled correctly, and probably looks great on shirts/mouse
pads.  If nothing else, it seems a lot more compelling than a
wildebeest jumping out of an egg ;-)

That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The image
is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
appreciated with this.

Re: LLVM Logo

Sebastian Redl

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:09:01 -0700, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>
> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The image
> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
> appreciated with this.

I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have any
skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a vector
graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow for
free scaling.

Sebastian

Re: LLVM Logo

Christophe Augier
my 2 cents but it looks like the logo was drawn using a vector
graphics editor, so you may directly ask the author the .svg version
;-)

- Christophe

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Sebastian
Redl<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:09:01 -0700, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>>
>> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
>> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The image
>> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
>> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
>> appreciated with this.
>
> I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have any
> skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a vector
> graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow for
> free scaling.
>
> Sebastian

Re: LLVM Logo

Bill Wendling
On Jul 30, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
> anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
> you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
> page:
> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>
> I personally think that this is a pretty great logo/mascot for LLVM,
> because it is very abstract, can be adapted in a variety of ways, is
> alpha channeled correctly, and probably looks great on shirts/mouse
> pads.  If nothing else, it seems a lot more compelling than a
> wildebeest jumping out of an egg ;-)
>
> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The image
> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
> appreciated with this.

And now, of course, HE NEEDS A NAME!!! :-)

-bw

Re: LLVM Logo

Jean-Daniel Dupas-2

Le 30 juil. 09 à 09:40, Sebastian Redl a écrit :

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:09:01 -0700, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>>
>> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
>> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The
>> image
>> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
>> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
>> appreciated with this.
>
> I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have any
> skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a
> vector
> graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow
> for
> free scaling.

This image look like vector art. Isn't it possible to get a vectored
version from Apple ?
Else it's possible to "vectorize" the png but if such a version
already exists it would definitely be easier.

Re: LLVM Logo

Albert Graef
Chris Lattner wrote:
> I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
> anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
> you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
> page:
> http://llvm.org/Logo.html

Looks cool!

I'm awful at this kind of stuff, but maybe someone could do a small
version of this with "LLVM Inside" or some such phrase on it, to be used
on websites of compilers using LLVM as their backend? LLVM is getting
much "brand recognition" in programmer circles these days, and the logo
should help to further promote that.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany

Re: LLVM Logo

Andreas Neustifter-2
Albert Graef wrote:

> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
>> anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
>> you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
>> page:
>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>
> Looks cool!
>
> I'm awful at this kind of stuff, but maybe someone could do a small
> version of this with "LLVM Inside" or some such phrase on it, to be used
> on websites of compilers using LLVM as their backend? LLVM is getting
> much "brand recognition" in programmer circles these days, and the logo
> should help to further promote that.
Just a little sketch.

Andi

LLVM Logo.png (406K) Download Attachment

Re: LLVM Logo

Andreas Neustifter-2
Albert Graef wrote:

> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
>> anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
>> you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
>> page:
>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>
> Looks cool!
>
> I'm awful at this kind of stuff, but maybe someone could do a small
> version of this with "LLVM Inside" or some such phrase on it, to be used
> on websites of compilers using LLVM as their backend? LLVM is getting
> much "brand recognition" in programmer circles these days, and the logo
> should help to further promote that.
Okay, now with "LLVM Inside" (in a double sense)...

Andi

LLVM Logo.jpg (130K) Download Attachment

Re: LLVM Logo

Nick Johnson-19
If we need to name the llvm mascot, how about lleweelyn.... or perhaps
even better, LLeVeelyM

Nick

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Albert Graef<[hidden email]> wrote:
> m awful at this kind of stuff, but maybe someone could do a small
> version of this with "LLVM Inside" or some such phrase on it, to be used
> on websites of compilers using LLVM as their backend? LLVM is getting
> much "brand recognition" in programmer circles these days, and the logo
> should help to further promote that.

--
Nick Johnson

Re: LLVM Logo

Felipe Lessa
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:40:45AM +0200, Sebastian Redl wrote:
> I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have any
> skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a vector
> graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow for
> free scaling.

Actually even if you had an SVG source it would be best to
simplify the drawing before downscaling it, see [1] for example.
Of course having the SVG without an artist is already better than
having none of them :).

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines#Sizes

--
Felipe.

Re: LLVM Logo

Andreas Neustifter-2
Felipe Lessa wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:40:45AM +0200, Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have any
>> skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a vector
>> graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow for
>> free scaling.
>
> Actually even if you had an SVG source it would be best to
> simplify the drawing before downscaling it, see [1] for example.
> Of course having the SVG without an artist is already better than
> having none of them :).

I'm not an artist, so the simplifying is not so easy for me, but its
true that that is the really hard part. So I did two full-scale sketches
with different texts.

http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325716/LLVM_Bleeding.png
http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325716/LLVM_Inside.png

files are not necessary anymore :-)

Andi

Re: LLVM Logo

Albert Graef
Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> I'm not an artist, so the simplifying is not so easy for me, but its
> true that that is the really hard part. So I did two full-scale sketches
> with different texts.

Looks nice, even at 256 pixels. Just for the fun of it I sticked it on
http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/ (scaled to 128 pixels, though, to make
it fit).

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  [hidden email], [hidden email]
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag

Re: LLVM Logo

Patrick Meredith
It really needs the gray background from this version.  Without the
background it doesn't contrast well enough with a white webpage.

On Jul 30, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Andreas Neustifter wrote:

> Albert Graef wrote:
>> Chris Lattner wrote:
>>> I'm happy to announce that Apple has agreed to let llvm.org (and
>>> anyone else) use the great LLVM logo they designed for WWDC.  If
>>> you're interested, you can see the full version of the logo on this
>>> page:
>>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>>
>> Looks cool!
>>
>> I'm awful at this kind of stuff, but maybe someone could do a small
>> version of this with "LLVM Inside" or some such phrase on it, to be
>> used
>> on websites of compilers using LLVM as their backend? LLVM is getting
>> much "brand recognition" in programmer circles these days, and the
>> logo
>> should help to further promote that.
>
> Just a little sketch.
>
> Andi
>
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: LLVM Logo

John Criswell-2
Nick Johnson wrote:
> If we need to name the llvm mascot, how about lleweelyn.... or perhaps
> even better, LLeVeelyM

How is that pronounced?

-- John T.

Re: LLVM Logo

Andreas Neustifter-2
Hi Albert,

Albert Graef wrote:
> Andreas Neustifter wrote:
>> I'm not an artist, so the simplifying is not so easy for me, but its
>> true that that is the really hard part. So I did two full-scale sketches
>> with different texts.
>
> Looks nice, even at 256 pixels. Just for the fun of it I sticked it on
> http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/ (scaled to 128 pixels, though, to make
> it fit).

Well it does look not too good the text is getting to small in this
case, what do you think of this 128x128 version?

Andi

PS: If this is too off-topic for the Developer-List please let me know.

LLVM_Logo_small_v2.png (30K) Download Attachment

Re: LLVM Logo

dpenry
Did you mean to spell it as in the Welsh name?  The usual spelling is
Llewellyn or Llewelyn

Someone asked about pronunciation.   The 'll' sound doesn't exist in
English: it's an aspirated 'l'.  Say an 'l' while hissing out of one
side of your mouth, and you'll get a crude approximation of it.

Llewellyn: hlew - EHL - in
Llewelyn: hlew - EL - in

However, I have heard English speakers just say the 'll' as an 'l' and
not get the ew quite right, giving lou-ellen.  That's probably the most
common pronunciation of it in the US.

--David

On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:08 AM, Christophe Augier wrote:

> my 2 cents but it looks like the logo was drawn using a vector
> graphics editor, so you may directly ask the author the .svg version
> ;-)

I'll definitely try, but no promises.  I don't know if they kept it (!).

-Chris

> - Christophe
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Sebastian
> Redl<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:09:01 -0700, Chris Lattner
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> http://llvm.org/Logo.html
>>>
>>> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the
>>> image
>>> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The
>>> image
>>> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
>>> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
>>> appreciated with this.
>>
>> I think it would be best to use Mozilla's way for this. If we have
>> any
>> skilled vector artists, they could try to recreate the image as a
>> vector
>> graphic (it is not so complex as to prevent this) which would allow
>> for
>> free scaling.
>>
>> Sebastian

Re: LLVM Logo

Chris Lattner-2

On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:33 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:

>> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the image
>> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The
>> image
>> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
>> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
>> appreciated with this.
>>
> And now, of course, HE NEEDS A NAME!!! :-)

He?

Re: LLVM Logo

Felipe Lessa
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:44:05PM +0200, Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> Well it does look not too good the text is getting to small in this
> case, what do you think of this 128x128 version?

It looks like an sprite coming from a Megaman game :).  My humble
opinion is that while the dragon looks nice when large, when
small it just feels childish and unprofessional.

My 2 cents.

--
Felipe.

Re: LLVM Logo

David Vandevoorde

On Jul 30, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:33 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:
>

>>> That said, I'm not a graphic artist.  I simply down-sampled the
>>> image
>>> to get the "Small" one that I'd like to use on the sidebar.  The
>>> image
>>> is complex enough that it will probably take someone who knows what
>>> they are doing to make it look good.  Any help is definitely
>>> appreciated with this.
>>>
>> And now, of course, HE NEEDS A NAME!!! :-)
>
> He?

I had the same thought.  She's a "she", for sure.

Trying to match mnemonically while keeping a "sound" from typical
fantasy literature:

        Lyla Vemo?

        Lyla Vizdom?

        The Laidley Wyrm?  <http://www.dragonorama.com/famous/l/laidley-wyrm.html