LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

thean kiat sew
Hi,

I installed the cfrontend 1.5 and LLVM 1.5 from source in cygwin
successfully using GCC3.4.3 and binutils2.15 (as in makefiles do not
complain errors except some warnings).

However when I do this, there are some errors like,

***************************************************************
u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home/cfrontend/install/lib
$ llvm-ranlib libiberty.a
llvm-ranlib: Error opening archive file: libiberty.a

****************************************************************
This happens to llvm-ranlib libiberty.a, llvm-ranlib libstdc++.a,
llvm-ranlib libsupc++.a too. May I know what is the cause and how to
solve it? (I saw a post similar to this, but there is no solution
provided.)


Another problem is when I run hello.c which is
   #include <stdio.h>
   int main() {
     printf("hello world\n");
     return 0;
   }

I got this,
*******************************************************
u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home
$ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello
gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'user32'
gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'kernel32'
gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'advapi32'
gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'shell32'

********************************************************
The lli tool doesn't work as well.

However, llvm-dis,llc,gcc hello.s -o hello.native,./hello.native work.
(I have not try with the other tools yet)

Your help will be very much appreciated.


Regards,
Kiat

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

Reid Spencer
Hello Kiat

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:21 +0800, thean kiat sew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed the cfrontend 1.5 and LLVM 1.5 from source in cygwin
> successfully using GCC3.4.3 and binutils2.15 (as in makefiles do not
> complain errors except some warnings).

Great!

>
> However when I do this, there are some errors like,
>
> ***************************************************************
> u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home/cfrontend/install/lib
> $ llvm-ranlib libiberty.a
> llvm-ranlib: Error opening archive file: libiberty.a
>
> ****************************************************************
> This happens to llvm-ranlib libiberty.a, llvm-ranlib libstdc++.a,
> llvm-ranlib libsupc++.a too. May I know what is the cause and how to
> solve it? (I saw a post similar to this, but there is no solution
> provided.)
Unfortunately there isn't a solution right now. This isn't a problem, it
only makes things slower not incorrect. Unfortunately I have lost my
Cygwin machine (disk failure) so I can't diagnose this for you. If you
want to take a stab at debugging llvm-ranlib and discovering why it is
failing to open the file, that would be a great help to us. The error
message is coming from a sys::Path method when it tries to open
libiberty.a. Chances are its a path construction problem involving a
space on Windows. Try installing llvm-ranlib into a path that doesn't
have a space in it?

> Another problem is when I run hello.c which is
>    #include <stdio.h>
>    int main() {
>      printf("hello world\n");
>      return 0;
>    }
>
> I got this,
> *******************************************************
> u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home
> $ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'user32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'kernel32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'advapi32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'shell32'
>
> ********************************************************
This isn't a big deal. Its just the llvm-gcc linker warning you that its
default search path couldn't find the required libraries to link with.
This doesn't affect the generated bytecode file.

> The lli tool doesn't work as well.

LLI is known not to work on Cygwin. Cygwin has problems with resolving
symbols via dlsym when the symbol is in the executable and not in one of
the DLLs

>
> However, llvm-dis,llc,gcc hello.s -o hello.native,./hello.native work.
> (I have not try with the other tools yet)

I'm glad at least part of it is working for you. Unfortunately we simply
don't have the resources to address Cygwin ports at this time. If you
find any solutions to the above problems, please let us know and we'll
gladly accept patches against it.

>
> Your help will be very much appreciated.

> Regards,
> Kiat
>

Thanks for trying LLVM on Cygwin and letting us know your experience.

Reid.


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

AaronNGray
In reply to this post by thean kiat sew
> I installed the cfrontend 1.5 and LLVM 1.5 from source in cygwin
> successfully using GCC3.4.3 and binutils2.15 (as in makefiles do not
> complain errors except some warnings).
>
> However when I do this, there are some errors like,
>
> ***************************************************************
> u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home/cfrontend/install/lib
> $ llvm-ranlib libiberty.a
> llvm-ranlib: Error opening archive file: libiberty.a
>
> ****************************************************************
> This happens to llvm-ranlib libiberty.a, llvm-ranlib libstdc++.a,
> llvm-ranlib libsupc++.a too. May I know what is the cause and how to
> solve it? (I saw a post similar to this, but there is no solution
> provided.)
>
>
> Another problem is when I run hello.c which is
>   #include <stdio.h>
>   int main() {
>     printf("hello world\n");
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> I got this,
> *******************************************************
> u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home
> $ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'user32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'kernel32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'advapi32'
> gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'shell32'
>
> ********************************************************
> The lli tool doesn't work as well.
>
> However, llvm-dis,llc,gcc hello.s -o hello.native,./hello.native work.
> (I have not try with the other tools yet)
>
> Your help will be very much appreciated.

Good going thats about where I got to :)

Thats about the state of play with Cygwin. llvm-gcc is broke on Cygwin.

I believe you can use the other llvm tools to get a hello world assembled
and linked, using ld. Have not tried it yet though.

Aaron


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

thean kiat sew
Hi,

I am wondering whether the bytecode generated by my llvm-gcc is correct?

When I run
$ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello

What I get is hello.exe.bc, and hello.exe (I can actually llvm-dis the
bytecode file which is hello.exe.bc).

However, I do not get a shell script(named hello) as stated in the
documentation...


Best Regards,
Kiat


On 5/25/05, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I installed the cfrontend 1.5 and LLVM 1.5 from source in cygwin
> > successfully using GCC3.4.3 and binutils2.15 (as in makefiles do not
> > complain errors except some warnings).
> >
> > However when I do this, there are some errors like,
> >
> > ***************************************************************
> > u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home/cfrontend/install/lib
> > $ llvm-ranlib libiberty.a
> > llvm-ranlib: Error opening archive file: libiberty.a
> >
> > ****************************************************************
> > This happens to llvm-ranlib libiberty.a, llvm-ranlib libstdc++.a,
> > llvm-ranlib libsupc++.a too. May I know what is the cause and how to
> > solve it? (I saw a post similar to this, but there is no solution
> > provided.)
> >
> >
> > Another problem is when I run hello.c which is
> >   #include <stdio.h>
> >   int main() {
> >     printf("hello world\n");
> >     return 0;
> >   }
> >
> > I got this,
> > *******************************************************
> > u0201201@9nnvf2ay /home
> > $ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello
> > gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'user32'
> > gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'kernel32'
> > gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'advapi32'
> > gccld: warning: Cannot find library 'shell32'
> >
> > ********************************************************
> > The lli tool doesn't work as well.
> >
> > However, llvm-dis,llc,gcc hello.s -o hello.native,./hello.native work.
> > (I have not try with the other tools yet)
> >
> > Your help will be very much appreciated.
>
> Good going thats about where I got to :)
>
> Thats about the state of play with Cygwin. llvm-gcc is broke on Cygwin.
>
> I believe you can use the other llvm tools to get a hello world assembled
> and linked, using ld. Have not tried it yet though.
>
> Aaron
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

Misha Brukman
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:49:55PM +0800, thean kiat sew wrote:

> I am wondering whether the bytecode generated by my llvm-gcc is correct?
>
> When I run
> $ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello
>
> What I get is hello.exe.bc, and hello.exe (I can actually llvm-dis the
> bytecode file which is hello.exe.bc).
>
> However, I do not get a shell script(named hello) as stated in the
> documentation...

The documentation is a bit Unix-centered in that respect, on Windows and
Cygwin, executables require the .exe suffix, so your shell script is
named "hello.exe" .

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

AaronNGray
In reply to this post by thean kiat sew
Hi,

>I am wondering whether the bytecode generated by my llvm-gcc is correct?

Should be.

>When I run
>$ llvm-gcc hello.c -o hello

Try llvm-gcc with a -v option and you will see what is going on.

Basically gccld is being passes some libraries names for windows that gccld
thinks are bytecode achive library files !

>However, I do not get a shell script(named hello) as stated in the
>documentation...

right, never looked for it, have a look to see if it is in the source.


I have some preliminary HTML documentation for installing llvm and cfronend.

        http://angray.members.beeb.net/llvm/MakingLLVM.html

Unfortunately when checking it on a second machine I could not get
binutils-2.15 to build on it.

Would you have a look at the documentation and if you can see why binutils
would not build I would be very greatfull.

Aaron


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

thean kiat sew
In reply to this post by thean kiat sew
Hi,

Maybe I can provide you with the installation steps that I done in my machine.
 
What I did is,

1. first install cygwin, I attached a list of the packages I
installed. (there are quite a lot of packages)

2. build the binutils-2.15.

3. Then gcc-3.4.3. (I am using the new binutils which is the 2.15)

4. Next, I follow the instructions in the LLVM documentation to
further build the cfrontend then LLVM.

Hope that it helps.


Regards,
Kiat


On 5/26/05, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry I wrote to you directly by accident rather than posting on the LLVM
> mailing list.
>
> If you would look over the instructions I have written for installing LLVM
> and the GCC frontend I would be very greatful.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

install.txt (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM Cygwin Run Errors

AaronNGray
>1. first install cygwin, I attached a list of the packages I
>installed. (there are quite a lot of packages)

Yes, there are alot of unnessasary packages for LLVM.

Aaron


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev