LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Tom Stellard-3
Hi,

I would like to begin the 3.4.2 release process for LLVM.  There have
been two issues identified in 3.4.1, which there is interest in having
fixed in a 3.4.x release:

1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
to build with gcc 4.9).

2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
libLLVM-3.4.1.so

I will also accept any other bug-fixes that people want to submit as
long as they conform to the rules of stable releases:
http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html#release-patch-rules

In order to get these fixes out quickly, we will have a very short period
for nominating bug-fixes, followed by our usually stable release testing phase.

Here is an approximate schedule:

Monday, May 12 to Thursday, May 15: Nominate bug-fixes for the 3.4 branch.
Friday, May 16 to Friday, May 23:   Testing Phase I
Monday, May 25:                     Release or Phase II of testing if necessary.

If you are interested in helping with release qualification testing
of  3.4.2, send me an email with the target, operating system and host
compiler you can test with.  Since we have fixes specifically for gcc
4.9 in this release we need some testers who can test with gcc 4.9.

Besides release qualification, it will be helpful to have people building
the 3.4 branch with gcc 4.9 and looking for potential issues.  This can be
done before the testing phase once the gcc 4.9 fixes have landed.

I have a busy schedule in the next month, so I would like to have one or more
backup up release managers, in case I am unable to make this release in a timely
manner.  If you are interested in this, let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Renato Golin-2
On 12 May 2014 16:57, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
> to build with gcc 4.9).
>
> 2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
> libLLVM-3.4.1.so

Two good reasons. Count me in for testing.

cheers,
--renato

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Hans Wennborg-2
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to begin the 3.4.2 release process for LLVM.  There have
> been two issues identified in 3.4.1, which there is interest in having
> fixed in a 3.4.x release:
>
> 1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
> to build with gcc 4.9).
>
> 2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
> libLLVM-3.4.1.so

I'm happy to do Windows builds.

 - Hans

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Ben Pope
On Monday, May 12, 2014 11:57 PM, Tom Stellard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to begin the 3.4.2 release process for LLVM.  There have
> been two issues identified in 3.4.1, which there is interest in having
> fixed in a 3.4.x release:
>
> 1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
> to build with gcc 4.9).
>
> 2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
> libLLVM-3.4.1.so
>
> I will also accept any other bug-fixes that people want to submit as
> long as they conform to the rules of stable releases:
> http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html#release-patch-rules
>
> In order to get these fixes out quickly, we will have a very short period
> for nominating bug-fixes, followed by our usually stable release testing phase.
>
> Here is an approximate schedule:
>
> Monday, May 12 to Thursday, May 15: Nominate bug-fixes for the 3.4 branch.
> Friday, May 16 to Friday, May 23:   Testing Phase I
> Monday, May 25:                     Release or Phase II of testing if necessary.
>
> If you are interested in helping with release qualification testing
> of  3.4.2, send me an email with the target, operating system and host
> compiler you can test with.  Since we have fixes specifically for gcc
> 4.9 in this release we need some testers who can test with gcc 4.9.

I'm happy to test on Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64.

Ben

LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Tom Stellard-3

I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.

Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
testing with.

Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.

For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?

Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.

-Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Hans Wennborg-2
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
> can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.
>
> Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
> release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
> testing with.

I've pushed a Windows build to the sftp.

Cheers,
Hans

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Renato Golin-2
Hi Tom,

When running the test script, I got an error message:

$ ./test-release.sh -no-64bit -release 3.4.2 -rc 1 -triple
armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2
# Validating llvm SVN URL
llvm 3.4.2 release candidate rc1 doesn't exist!

Do I need to get another test-release.sh script? This is the one from
release_34 branch we used to release 3.4.1.

cheers,
--renato

On 16 May 2014 22:55, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
> can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.
>
> Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
> release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
> testing with.
>
> Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
> could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
> on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.
>
> For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
> nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?
>
> Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.
>
> -Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Arnaud Allard de Grandmaison-2
Hi Tom,

3.4.2-rc1 was built & tested successfully on ubuntu 12.04 --- without gcc 4.9.

Binaries uploaded to llvm's sftp.

Arnaud

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.

Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
testing with.

Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.

For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?

Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.

-Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Kevin Y. Kim
I’m having the same issue.

Thanks,
-kevin

On May 18, 2014, at 7:10 AM, Renato Golin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> When running the test script, I got an error message:
>
> $ ./test-release.sh -no-64bit -release 3.4.2 -rc 1 -triple
> armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2
> # Validating llvm SVN URL
> llvm 3.4.2 release candidate rc1 doesn't exist!
>
> Do I need to get another test-release.sh script? This is the one from
> release_34 branch we used to release 3.4.1.
>
> cheers,
> --renato
>
> On 16 May 2014 22:55, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
>> can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.
>>
>> Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
>> release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
>> testing with.
>>
>> Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
>> could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
>> on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.
>>
>> For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
>> nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?
>>
>> Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.
>>
>> -Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Tom Stellard-3
On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:10:44PM +0100, Renato Golin wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> When running the test script, I got an error message:
>
> $ ./test-release.sh -no-64bit -release 3.4.2 -rc 1 -triple armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2

It should be:

./test-release.sh -no-64-bit -release 3.4 -dot 2 -rc 1 -triple armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2

-Tom

> # Validating llvm SVN URL
> llvm 3.4.2 release candidate rc1 doesn't exist!
>
> Do I need to get another test-release.sh script? This is the one from
> release_34 branch we used to release 3.4.1.
>
> cheers,
> --renato
>
> On 16 May 2014 22:55, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
> > can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.
> >
> > Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
> > release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
> > testing with.
> >
> > Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
> > could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
> > on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.
> >
> > For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
> > nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?
> >
> > Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.
> >
> > -Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Arnaud Allard de Grandmaison-2
Hi Renato,

I used the 'test-release.sh' script from the tag. This is a bit awkward, as you have to do a first checkout by hand, and then use the script which will eventually do the another checkout :)

Arnaud

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Kevin Y. Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m having the same issue.

Thanks,
-kevin

On May 18, 2014, at 7:10 AM, Renato Golin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> When running the test script, I got an error message:
>
> $ ./test-release.sh -no-64bit -release 3.4.2 -rc 1 -triple
> armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2
> # Validating llvm SVN URL
> llvm 3.4.2 release candidate rc1 doesn't exist!
>
> Do I need to get another test-release.sh script? This is the one from
> release_34 branch we used to release 3.4.1.
>
> cheers,
> --renato
>
> On 16 May 2014 22:55, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
>> can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.
>>
>> Test results from 3.4.2-rc1 should be checked for regressions against the 3.4.1
>> release.  When you submit results, please remind me the CPU and Operating System you are
>> testing with.
>>
>> Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
>> could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
>> on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.
>>
>> For the 3.4.1 release testers sent me uniformly named binary packages, which was very
>> nice.  Is there a script you are using for generating these?
>>
>> Thanks again to all the volunteer testers.
>>
>> -Tom

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Renato Golin-2
On 19 May 2014 20:11, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ./test-release.sh -no-64-bit -release 3.4 -dot 2 -rc 1 -triple armv7a-linux-gnueabihf -j2

*OF COURSE*! Silly me. Sorry about the noise.

Do we have this in any doc already?

--renato

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Renato Golin-2
Binary uploaded.

cheers,
--renato

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 05:55 AM, Tom Stellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tagged 3.4.2 RC1 in SVN, so testers can begin testing.  We
> can always use more testers, so if you are interested in helping let me know.

On x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04 all the tests pass so I've uploaded to the ftp
as: clang+llvm-3.4.2-rc1-x86_64-linux-gnu-ubuntu-14.04.tar.xz

> Also, since 3.4.2 includes build fixes for gcc 4.9 it would be helpful if some people
> could at least test building LLVM with gcc 4.9.  I have already verified it works
> on X86_64 Fedora, but more testing is welcomed.

I also managed to successfully build Phase1 with gcc 4.9

Ben

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Sylvestre Ledru-6
Hello,

On 12/05/2014 17:57, Tom Stellard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to begin the 3.4.2 release process for LLVM.  There have
> been two issues identified in 3.4.1, which there is interest in having
> fixed in a 3.4.x release:
>
> 1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
> to build with gcc 4.9).
>
> 2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
> libLLVM-3.4.1.so
>
> I will also accept any other bug-fixes that people want to submit as
> long as they conform to the rules of stable releases:
> http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html#release-patch-rules
>
> In order to get these fixes out quickly, we will have a very short period
> for nominating bug-fixes, followed by our usually stable release testing phase.
>
> Here is an approximate schedule:
>
> Monday, May 12 to Thursday, May 15: Nominate bug-fixes for the 3.4 branch.
> Friday, May 16 to Friday, May 23:   Testing Phase I
> Monday, May 25:                     Release or Phase II of testing if necessary.
Any issue with the 3.4.2 release?

Thanks,
Sylvestre

Re: LLVM 3.4.2 - Testing Phase

Renato Golin-2
Hi Tom,

Are we releasing the 3.4.2 or just waiting for 3.5 to show up? On the
release download page there's only 3.4.1...

Some folks said they're stuck with 3.4, so I think it'd be a good idea
to release it, and even possibly make a 3.4.3 after 3.5 release, as
there were other patches that didn't make into 3.4.2.