June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Reid Spencer-2
All,

This message contains important information about the June 2007 LLVM
Developer's Meeting. If you plan to go (or even if you don't), please
read it carefully. Nothing is set in stone yet so if you have a
suggestion, please make it! Your feedback is wanted.

Thank you to all who participated in the Conference Poll we held at the
end of last year.  It let us know your preferences and the general scope
of the meeting. You can read the summary message at:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-January/007825.html
It is now time to get down to specifics for the Meeting.

THEME:
Almost all of you wanted this meeting to be a casual affair with time to
get to know one another, discover what everyone is doing, and learn
about LLVM.  We have structured the meeting to accomplish these goals.

WHERE:
Apple, Inc. Corporate Campus, Cupertino, CA
We are still securing a specific room. Further details will follow at a
later time.

WHEN:
Friday, June 22nd, 2007  -OR-  Friday, June 29th, 2007
It will most likely be the 22nd but as we're still trying to confirm a
room reservation at Apple, there's a small chance it may change. This
won't happen on June 8th or 15th as those dates conflict with Apple
WWDC. June 1st is too close to the "end of may" LLVM 2.0 release date.
May is release month, July is holiday month. So, we're somewhat narrowed
down to these dates. However, if this doesn't work for you, PLEASE let
us know!

REGISTRATION FEES:
None! Free, as in beer.  All you need to do is get there.

MEALS
Breakfast - get your own :)
Lunch - Apple is planning to cater lunch. If not we'll order from
Quiznos or something.
Dinner - Optional. We'll go to a local restaurant in the Cupertino area.

AGENDA:
The meeting will start at 8am and finish by 6pm, but beyond that not
much is firm.  How much time is spent in the various sessions depends
largely on the submissions we receive from you. We'll try to accommodate
as many submissions as possible, even if it means rearranging this
preliminary agenda. That said, here's roughly how we think it will go:

08:00-08:45 Meet & Greet
08:45-09:00 LLVM Intro and History (Vikram and Chris)
09:00-10:30 Session 1: Introductions (introducing: you)
10:30-11:00 Break, Mingling, Informal Discussions
11:00-12:00 Session 2: Learning LLVM (presentations)
12:00-13:00 Lunch Break (Food brought in, TBD)
13:00-15:00 Session 3: Using LLVM (presentations)
15:00-15:30 Break, Mingling, Informal Discussions
15:30-17:00 Session 4: Improving LLVM (work groups)
17:00-18:00 Wrap up, Social Time
18:00-??:?? Dinner Off Campus (Optional)

CONTENT:
We have four sessions and no content at this juncture. :)  Many of you
expressed interest in making a presentation or leading a work group. It
is now time for you to submit your ideas. All talks are limited to 30
minutes but could be much shorter. We plan to squeeze as many of you in
as possible.  The time limit helps with that.  Any talks, presentations
or papers will be published on a page of the LLVM web site after the
meeting is over. You won't be adjudicated. If you think the mix of
sessions (below) isn't right, please let us know.

Session 1: Introductions - This time is reserved for in-depth
introductions of everyone attending the meeting. The thing you all
wanted most was to get to know one another. So, here's your chance. You
have 2-3 minutes to tell us who you are, what you do, how much you love
LLVM, why you work with it, or anything else you want to say.

Session 2: Learning LLVM - This session will provide presentations about
LLVM. Most everyone at the meeting will be somewhat familiar with LLVM
(if not experts) so if you're inclined to submit something for this
session, find something unique, perhaps a little known secret, an idiom
you use, tips and tricks, tools you use with LLVM, etc.

Session 3: Using LLVM - This session will cover some of the novel ways
in which LLVM is currently being used. If you use LLVM in an interesting
way, please consider making a presentation in this session.

Session 4: Improving LLVM - This time is reserved for specific LLVM
technical issues that need to be addressed. Everyone should submit their
ideas here, from pet peeves to wishful fantasies. What do you think LLVM
lacks? Where does it need to go from here? This session will consist of
a 5 minute presentation by the issue originator followed by 10 minutes
of discussion. This will allow 6 issues to be discussed in this time
slot.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Format: Abstract by email. If you attach, please use a platform-netural
format (e.g. PDF).
Submit To: [hidden email] (private) or [hidden email]
(public)
Deadline: All submission abstracts should be received by May 1st, 2007.

PARTICIPATION
Don't be bashful! This meeting is for you and by you. If you have an
idea in any of the topic areas, or anything else, please send it in. Our
goal is to fit as many of you in as possible. To a very large extent the
content of the meeting will be decided by the submissions that are
received.

Finally, we need a head count, for obvious reasons. If you plan to
attend or even think there's a good possibility of attending, we would
appreciate it if you could let us know by May 1st.

We look forward to seeing you there and meeting everyone. Don't miss
this historic event! :)

Best Regards,

LLVM Oversight Group (Chris, Vikram, Reid, Misha)

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:

> MEALS
> Breakfast - get your own :)
> Lunch - Apple is planning to cater lunch. If not we'll order from
> Quiznos or something.

I have confirmed that Apple will cater lunch.

> Session 3: Using LLVM - This session will cover some of the novel ways
> in which LLVM is currently being used. If you use LLVM in an interesting
> way, please consider making a presentation in this session.

I'll be happy to give a talk in this session about some ways apple is
using LLVM.  Sign me up!

> Don't be bashful! This meeting is for you and by you. If you have an
> idea in any of the topic areas, or anything else, please send it in. Our
> goal is to fit as many of you in as possible. To a very large extent the
> content of the meeting will be decided by the submissions that are
> received.

I want to stress this point.  If you're interested by LLVM, even if just a
lurker on the list, you are welcome to attend.  Please do tell us if you
plan to come though.

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Sarah Thompson-2
I'll almost certainly come along, possibly with one or two other NASA
people. I could give a talk on our work using LLVM to support model
checking, symbolic execution and static analysis if anyone is interested.

Sarah Thompson
RSE/6G, NASA Ames

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Bill Wendling
On 3/23/07, Sarah Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll almost certainly come along, possibly with one or two other NASA
> people.

Awesome!

> I could give a talk on our work using LLVM to support model
> checking, symbolic execution and static analysis if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested.

-bw

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Bill Wendling
For those of you coming from out of the area and who may not be
familiar with the bay area.

TRAVEL:

The closest airport is San Jose International Airport (SJC; 10 miles
away). There is also San Francisco Internation Airport (SFO; 43 miles
away) or Oakland (OAK; 49 miles away). IMHO, I would choose SJC, then
SFO, and lastly OAK, depending upont he prices.

HOTELS:

The Cypress Hotel (http://www.thecypresshotel.com/) is very close to
the Apple campus. It's pretty swank, so I'm not sure how pricey it is.
Here's a Google search for hotels in the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

I can't vouch for anything but the Cypress Hotel, though. I would
offer someone a room, but I only have a couch. And I also have cats,
so you couldn't be allergic. :-)

T-SHIRTS:

I'm shocked that I have to bring this up! What are we going to do
about t-shirt designs?

-bw

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Sarah,

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 15:11 -0700, Sarah Thompson wrote:
> I'll almost certainly come along, possibly with one or two other NASA
> people.

Great!  If/when you know their names, have them drop me a line here. I'd
rather put down names than "Sarah+2". Thanks.

> I could give a talk on our work using LLVM to support model
> checking, symbolic execution and static analysis if anyone is interested.

Very cool! I think there would be lots of interest.   You're on!

Thanks,

Reid.

> Sarah Thompson
> RSE/6G, NASA Ames

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Bill,

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 15:57 -0700, Bill Wendling wrote:

> For those of you coming from out of the area and who may not be
> familiar with the bay area.
>
> TRAVEL:
>
> The closest airport is San Jose International Airport (SJC; 10 miles
> away). There is also San Francisco Internation Airport (SFO; 43 miles
> away) or Oakland (OAK; 49 miles away). IMHO, I would choose SJC, then
> SFO, and lastly OAK, depending upont he prices.
>
> HOTELS:
>
> The Cypress Hotel (http://www.thecypresshotel.com/) is very close to
> the Apple campus. It's pretty swank, so I'm not sure how pricey it is.
> Here's a Google search for hotels in the area:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

Thanks, I'll include that information in the flyer that I'm going to
make for the meeting (one sheet, all the details).

> I can't vouch for anything but the Cypress Hotel, though. I would
> offer someone a room, but I only have a couch. And I also have cats,
> so you couldn't be allergic. :-)
>
> T-SHIRTS:
>
> I'm shocked that I have to bring this up! What are we going to do
> about t-shirt designs?

How about we have a contest?  Submit artwork by May 1, we'll post them
and then people can vote for the best design.  I'll contribute the cost
of making the T-shirts if others are willing to do the design work.

Reid.

> -bw

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Tanya Lattner-2

> The Cypress Hotel (http://www.thecypresshotel.com/) is very close to
> the Apple campus. It's pretty swank, so I'm not sure how pricey it is.
> Here's a Google search for hotels in the area:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=hotels%20near%201%20infinite%20loop%20cupertino%2C%20CA&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

It would be good if the organizers could set up a hotel room block at one
of these places to secure a good price. However, each hotel varies on
requirements for a room block and it may not be possible if we have a
small group but its worth investigating.

Personally, I have stayed at both the Cupertino Inn and Hilton Garden Inn.
The Hilton is nicer but the Cupertino Inn is acceptable and within walking
distance. The Hilton may have a shuttle.

-Tanya

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Ryan Brown-4
I can't make it on the 22nd, but I will be there if it's on the 29th.
Ryan Brown

On 3/23/07, Reid Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 15:11 -0700, Sarah Thompson wrote:
> > I'll almost certainly come along, possibly with one or two other NASA
> > people.
>
> Great!  If/when you know their names, have them drop me a line here. I'd
> rather put down names than "Sarah+2". Thanks.
>
> > I could give a talk on our work using LLVM to support model
> > checking, symbolic execution and static analysis if anyone is interested.
>
> Very cool! I think there would be lots of interest.   You're on!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Reid.
>

> > Sarah Thompson
> > RSE/6G, NASA Ames

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Sarah Thompson-2
PS: Myself and other NASA people won't need a hotel, because we're at
Ames (Moffett Field) which is just up the road from the Fruit Factory
anyway. :-)

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Jeff Cohen
Reid Spencer wrote:
> All,
>
> This message contains important information about the June 2007 LLVM
> Developer's Meeting. If you plan to go (or even if you don't), please
> read it carefully. Nothing is set in stone yet so if you have a
> suggestion, please make it! Your feedback is wanted.

I think I'll be attending.

May 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Reid Spencer-2
All,

Due to a number of scheduling conflicts we've settled on a date quite
different from the original target: May 25th. This is a month earlier
than previously estimated, but this date is now firm.

May 25th was chosen because some of the organizers are traveling
internationally in June, the Apple WWDC is in early June, we couldn't
get a room, etc. June just turned out to be a bad month. The good news
is that in the poll taken last year, more of you wanted May than June
anyway.

So, you can now mark your calendars: May 25, 2007.

Best Regards,

Reid.

Re: May 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Jeff Cohen
I'll think I still will be attending.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:
>> I'm shocked that I have to bring this up! What are we going to do
>> about t-shirt designs?
>
> How about we have a contest?  Submit artwork by May 1, we'll post them
> and then people can vote for the best design.  I'll contribute the cost
> of making the T-shirts if others are willing to do the design work.

LLVM is clearly in need of a logo!

Re: June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Scott Michel-2
+2 from Aerospace (possibly +3, but I'll know better soon)

-scooter