Is there a way to check that debug metadata are well formed ?

Is there a way to check that debug metadata are well formed ?

Sebastien DELDON-GNB
Hi all,

Is there an easy way to check that debug metadata in a .ll file are well formed ?

Thanks for you answers
Seb

Re: Is there a way to check that debug metadata are well formed ?

Duncan Sands
Hi Seb,

On 05/07/13 11:08, Sebastien DELDON-GNB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there an easy way to check that debug metadata in a .ll file are well formed ?
>
> Thanks for you answers

I don't think so.  It would be great if the verifier checked debug and other
standard meta data.

Ciao, Duncan.

Re: Is there a way to check that debug metadata are well formed ?

David Blaikie

On Jul 5, 2013 5:50 AM, "Duncan Sands" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Seb,
>

> On 05/07/13 11:08, Sebastien DELDON-GNB wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there an easy way to check that debug metadata in a .ll file are well formed ?
>>
>> Thanks for you answers
>

> I don't think so.

That's correct. There's no formal/single verification of debug info metadata. There are asserts scattered throughout debug info handling, but they're hardly complete.

> It would be great if the verifier checked debug and other
> standard meta data.

Yep. It's something we've considered but haven't found time for yet. It would allow is to remove much of the ad hoc testing/verification and consolidate it in one place.

For now, ideally, anything produced by DIBuilder should be valid. If you find cases where that's not true, we should at least add asserts to DIBuilder to sure that up a bit.