Introduction.

Brian Makin-3

Hello,

I've been reading through the documentation for llvm
and am quite interested in helping.  I am an
experience c and c++ programmer but a bit rusty on the
compilers.

I'm currently reading through the ideas for projects.
It looks as through llvm may be very deep in some
optimization (IPA) but not as strong in others.  Are
there some textbook passes which I could start with?

Anyway, hope I can be some help.

Brian N. Makin

Re: Introduction.

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Brian Makin wrote:
> I've been reading through the documentation for llvm
> and am quite interested in helping.  I am an
> experience c and c++ programmer but a bit rusty on the
> compilers.

Great, welcome to the community!

> I'm currently reading through the ideas for projects.
> It looks as through llvm may be very deep in some
> optimization (IPA) but not as strong in others.  Are
> there some textbook passes which I could start with?

The open projects list (http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/OpenProjects.html) is one
good source, another is to look through the bugzilla database.  There are
probably some open bugs that are reasonable straight-forward to address.
Finally, the best way is to try using LLVM for something, and if it
doesn't work as well as it should in some way, figure out how to improve
it! :)  This is a good place to discuss problems you hit and possible
solutions.

Welcome again,

Re: Introduction.

Andi Kleen
Brian Makin <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've been reading through the documentation for llvm
> and am quite interested in helping.  I am an
> experience c and c++ programmer but a bit rusty on the
> compilers.
>
> I'm currently reading through the ideas for projects.
> It looks as through llvm may be very deep in some
> optimization (IPA) but not as strong in others.  Are
> there some textbook passes which I could start with?

The x86 backend seems to be quite weak. If you're interested
in x86 code one straight forward way might be to go through
the Intel and AMD optimization guides and implement some
of the suggestions in there.

-Andi